Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hide the security tab on a specific folder

Hello

I'm trying to hide a the security tab for a specific folder. I know that I could use a group policy, or amend the Rshx32.dll file, but this would remove it for all folders on the server. I'm only interested in one specific folder.

thanks

Re: Hide the security tab on a specific folder

It can be done through NTFS permissions, that should be set like in the attached screenshot.

Added: Just to be on the safe side, I'm talking about permissions on the folder, of the specific user, through Special Permissions.
    Last edited by sorinso; 9th November 2007, 21:08.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

From what I understand Sorin, for some reason he just want to hide the Security Tab itself on that one particular folder. Your option is going to deny Read, Change and Take Ownership Permissions on the files and folders etc. It is not going to hide the Tab.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hide Security Tab.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	462912
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi, biggles77.
        Please notice that the permissions denied are Read Permissions, Change Permissions and Take Ownership. ( To tell you the truth, I think denying Read Permissions is enough, but I used all three of them - don't tell anyone ).
        And the permissions are on the specific folder, for the specific user. This user will still be able to see the content of the folder, or even to write in it (I created a new folder without problems).
        If you think is necessary, I will give all the screenshots.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Sorry, I wrote the post in a hurry, and should have given a fuller description of what I'm trying to achieve.

We have a confidential folder, that I only want certain people to have access to.

I've used all the normal ntfs permsissions on the folder to limit access, but I also need to limit access from IT staff too, who of course have higher permissions.

I've tried putting these IT staff into a security group, and then denying access to this folder to this group, and this works, but because of their IT rights, the IT person could simply go to the properties of the folder, security tab, and remove that group from the deny tab to give themselves access. If I can remove the security tab from their grasp, I can avoid this problem

Thanks

Comment

IT people can not simply go and change the security tab. He needs to take ownership, and after that he can access the file or Folder.

What about if you click "Use Simple File Sharing" inside the windows explorer folder options.

This will remove the security tab for all the files/folders.
            Best regards,
            Mostafa Itani

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

No, that wouldn't work. They'd simply switch it back.

The method you need is "Special Permissions" in the "Advanced" dialog from the folder permissions.

Log in as a person who SHOULD have "Full Control" access to the folder.

Right-click the folder, select "Properties", go to the "Security" tab. Click "Advanced". Go to the "Owner" tab. Take ownership.
              Go to the "Permissions" tab. Click "Add".
              Select the group you created which includes all the IT guys.
              Click "OK", and in the window listing the granular permissions, click "Deny" against "Full Control". All items should be ticked. Click "OK".

They will now NOT be able to take ownership, or read/write anything in the folder. Make sure this permission is propagated to "This folder, subfolders and files", then come out.

Tom
              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

I think if they belong to the Admin Group, they can always take ownership permission, no?
                Best regards,
                Mostafa Itani

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The original question was "Hide Security Tab". For this only, is enough to deny the Specific Permissions I wrote in my earlier post.
                  To deny all access to that folder, including Take Ownership option, see Stonelaughter's post. Just be certain you know what you are doing. You can easily make that folder unaccessible to anyone.
                  sanvour:
                  I think if they belong to the Admin Group, they can always take ownership permission, no?
                  No, not if they cannot see the Security Tab. Didn't try command-line tools, but shouldn't be a difference.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Originally posted by sanvour View Post
                    Sorinso's right; but even if they CAN see the "Security" tab, they cannot "Take Ownership" if that has been specifically denied; regardless of what group they are in.

Tom
                    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

It would also be a good idea to enable logging of that folder. Also, good luck when trying to recover items in the folder if the IT staff have no access. There is security and then there is overkill. If there are files you REALLY do NOT want the IT people seeing, password protect them.

Has any consideration been given as to who is going to backup the folder, you are going to make backups.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Well I tried what Stonelaughter suggested, and I must admit I got further. When someone in the group that I had denied access to, attempted to go to the security page, they got this:

"you do not have permission to view or edit the current permission settings for test folder, but you can take ownership or change audit settings"

so that what I tried, and the user was able to take ownership (despite this being denied to that group)

Comment

Hi, jackson.
                          Stonelaughter's reply should have been enough for you to accomplish the task.
                          Please assure that you have checked also Deny:Take Ownership .
                          Can you please post a screenshot?

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

I told you, I remember Admins can take ownership in all cases.

WIll EFS help you to keep your data intact?
                            Best regards,
                            Mostafa Itani

Comment

Originally posted by sanvour View Post
                              I told you, I remember Admins can take ownership in all cases.

WIll EFS help you to keep your data intact?
                              Not in all cases.
                              The user you want to prevent from touching your files/folders should not have rights in Administrative Tools -> Local Security Settings -> Local Policies -> User Right Assignment, for Manage Auditing and security log and Take ownership of files or other objects.
                              By default, both those rights are given to the local Administrators group. Change it as needed.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                              X