Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2003 DNS settings!

Hello,

I am having a small home based network consisting of one Windows Server 2003 machine and few clients with Windows XP Pro and some Server 2003 machines(acting as member servers). On my Server 2003 machine i have two NIC's, one NIC is connected to my DSL provider and other NIC is connected to my local switch. From this switch i have connections going to some XP machines directly and to one Wireless Access Point.

My DSL connection is a demand-dial type and every time i dial-in i get new IP details from my ISP. All my client machine's in the network shall have internet access routed through this Server machine, in which i will be configuring RRAP later on. I am also planning to install and configure DHCP and AD once DNS configuration is done.

My actual doubt is, how should i set the DNS settings(especially i am doubtful on the Forwarders tab option under DNS Server Properties) so that my internet and intranet data is routed in optimal way. I have setup both Forward and Reverse Lookup Zones for DNS and have set the Dynamic Updates option to Nonsecure and Secure. I would really appreciate for any of your suggestions or tips. Thanks.

Re: Server 2003 DNS settings!

Is there any specific reason why you want to route through the Windows 2003 Server?

An easier way is to plug you ISP cable into a switch (router with firewall would be better) and then connect everything else to the switch. Router becomes your Default Gateway, DHCP can apply all the setting you want. DNS Forwarders can point to your ISPs DNS.

Forgotten something. Will look after I have had some ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

An answer to the first question is required. Thanks.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I have setup pretty much the same thing you have. I have a server 2003 with 11 clients running XP.

On my Server 2003 machine I have two NIC's, one NIC is connected to my local switch and the other is disabled. From this switch I have connections going to all the XP machines directly, two going to printers, and one into the DSL.

My DSL connection is always on and I have a static IP so I can VPN.

I am running RRAP, DHCP, AD, and DNS configured.

With all that said, I have setup both Forward and Reverse Lookup Zones for DNS. The DNS Forwarders point to the ISPs DNS.

Everything works great this way.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply guys..

Is there any specific reason why you want to route through the Windows 2003 Server?

An easier way is to plug you ISP cable into a switch (router with firewall would be better) and then connect everything else to the switch. Router becomes your Default Gateway, DHCP can apply all the setting you want. DNS Forwarders can point to your ISPs DNS.

the reason is simple security and other main reason is i would like to connect to my server through VPN from internet and somehow the router blocks the VPN connection when i use it for connecting to my ISP. Regarding DNS Forwarders don't to need to specify my NIC#1's IP Address which is connected to DSL line? This is where i am very much confused?

I have setup pretty much the same thing you have. I have a server 2003 with 11 clients running XP.

On my Server 2003 machine I have two NIC's, one NIC is connected to my local switch and the other is disabled. From this switch I have connections going to all the XP machines directly, two going to printers, and one into the DSL.

My DSL connection is always on and I have a static IP so I can VPN.

I am running RRAP, DHCP, AD, and DNS configured.

With all that said, I have setup both Forward and Reverse Lookup Zones for DNS. The DNS Forwarders point to the ISPs DNS.

I want to have some similar kind of setup. I will try whats suggested and see if i face any problems. Thanks once again.

Comment

Have you tried to forward VPN ports UDP: 500 and TCP 1723 and tried it ?

Comment

Hello ALL.

I have this setup at my home, but I am using (ICS) internet conenction sharing, this will install DHCP and DNS automatically and all your Windwos XP clients will be having 192.168.0.1 as there default gate way and DNS by defualt.

So your LAN will be 192.168.0.0 network.

Another solution is to make your 2003 server acts as a router this is done from with in Windows.

Hope I could help.

You can also forward all the connections to the DNS of the ISP you are using, and things will go fine.
            Best regards,
            Mostafa Itani

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks again for the suggestions guys.

Have you tried to forward VPN ports UDP: 500 and TCP 1723 and tried it ?

I have set my DNS forwarding to my ISP's DNS Server and everything seems to be working fine now. And regarding forwarding the VPN ports on my router, the problem is the router needs to have some VPN pass through feature, else it blocks any VPN connections though we open the ports. And unfortunately my router doesn't have this option so i have to go with server based routing features.

I have this setup at my home, but I am using (ICS) internet conenction sharing, this will install DHCP and DNS automatically and all your Windwos XP clients will be having 192.168.0.1 as there default gate way and DNS by defualt.

So your LAN will be 192.168.0.0 network.

Another solution is to make your 2003 server acts as a router this is done from with in Windows.

Hope I could help.

Thanks for the suggestion, but i would feel more comfortable when i manually install and configure each service. And like i said earlier, i would also be installing DHCP, ADS and RRAS services on this server machine, so this would make this server machine more than a internet connection sharing machine.

Thanks again. Regards,

Comment

That is good hearing the solution worked out with you.

Make sure the ISP updates you if there DNS that you are pointing to is down for maintenece window, or have been changed.
                Best regards,
                Mostafa Itani

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                X