need advise for new backup software

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need advise for new backup software

I need to find some backup software to save some of data offsite. We have a new server with a lot of space set up in a new data center and we need to find some software that will let us save some data to it remotely. Here are the requirements for the software.
    -scp from linux
    -scp from windows
    -email notifications
    -scheduling
    -compress before sending

if anyone know some good backup software ,please let me know.
    thanks!

Re: need advise for new backup software

Jimmy:

Have you done any research on the top backup software out there and compared features? This is pretty easy to find in Google.

Now I'm not saying both Windows and Linux backups using the same software family is going to come easy but I saw this post and I saw you had 57 total posts (I looked at a number of them) yet you asked a question much like my 6 year old does, "Daddy, can you do everything for me so I don't have to".

So I DO intend to pick at you a bit as you have been here for a while with, as I stated, 57 posts, and I'm not seeing a whole lot of effort on your part.

I, and numerous others, bust our humps to try and help. I could tell you numerous stories about backup software that works well or barely functions in real world environments and I'd be happy to do so if I felt you were putting forth ANY effort in this matter.

But you're not and so neither am I.

If you go forth and do the research and then come back with some well thought questions, I will bend over backwards to help you avoid the mistakes of my previous lives.

Other members out there, please look at the body of work here and flame me if I'm off base. Quite frankly, I'm just looking for a good post -- is that too much to ask?

And once again, Jimmy, I am picking on you but don't take it too hard as you are far from the worst. I'm obviously not having a good day (NO, I'm having a great day) and your post was just convenient for my rant. I'm beginning to wonder why I look at these posts at all.

Do keep that in mind as this is a symbiotic relationship. You get a good feeling from being helped and we get a good feeling from helping.
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

I'm with you, Rick, all along the way!
      Jimmy: You don't mention if the data on the remote server should be for backup purposes or available online.
      If it's only backup, I would check DRP (Disaster Recovery Process) solutions too.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

My tuppence worth

Backup Exec 11 (I think thats the latest)

Comment

Backup Exec would be mine too but that's in an architecture of my choosing and may not be optimal for the OP without understanding more about the situation.
          Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
            Backup Exec would be mine too but that's in an architecture of my choosing and may not be optimal for the OP without understanding more about the situation.
            Yep but all he asked was for good backup software so thats what i provided.

Until such times as the OP can be bothered to come back and tells us what his/her needs are for backup software and what they have already investigated then thats my answer.

It all now hinges on what the OP wants and from where i'm sitting it looks like they need spoon fed every detail.

Comment

wullieb1: My "understanding more" bit was directed at the OP and not you. I should have been more clear in my comment.
              Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
                wullieb1: My "understanding more" bit was directed at the OP and not you. I should have been more clear in my comment.
                No need to be clearer. I never took it that it was directed at me.

I'm with you all the way regarding the OP telling us what he/she needs but i don't want them to get the spoon fed situation where we say 'ohh this is best for you' and its not.

Comment

Working...
                X