Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing W2K DC with new W2K3 DC

Hi,

I have been doing extensive research on the net, came across this forum and thought Id post something. This topic seems to have been discussed a few times but would like to just throw this at you before actually performing the upgrade as I am soley responsible and frankly I dont want to mess it up

The current setup is a single DC running win2k, DNS, DHCP, File/print on a crappy server, they have asked me to replace this with a new server running win2k3 and possibly upgdade the win2k DC to win2k3. So effectively will have two win2k3 DC's. Its a small environment, upto 80 users and would like to now take advantage of a win2k3 domain.

Here is a list of steps that I am going to follow, could you experts please confirm that this is all I have to do:

1. Install win2k3 on new server and add to the win2k domain as a member server
    2. Run adprep/forest prep on current win2k DC
    3. Run adprep/domainprep on current win2k DC
    4. Run dcpromo on new win2k3 server and join to win2k domain
    5. Transfer FSMO roles from current win2k server to new win2k3 DC
    6. setup the new server as a standard secondary DNS server, migrate all primary zone info to secondary server, demote the primary server and then promote the secondary server to Active Directory Integrated DNS
    7. Export DHCP Database and restore on new server and disable DCHP on old server
    8. Migrate print queues using MS Print Migrator 3.1
    9. Transfer shares using FSMT toolkit.
    6. Upgrade win2k3 on old win2k DC

Now, following the above steps could you guys please confirm the following:

1. If at all correct, is it in the order it should be??
    2. The setup will now have 2 DC's on a win2k3 domain and all roles transfered to the new DC
    3. Can I rename the new dc to the old dc name once all has been migrated?
    4. Would a w/e be enough down time for this process to successfully complete, would it be ready for monday morning user logins? Would there also be any desktop issues to worry about?

Thank you so much for your help in advance, appreciate any advice you guys can give.

Thanks.

Javid.

Re: Replacing W2K DC with new W2K3 DC

I'm kind of new at this myself, and i'm planning on doing the exact same thing.

My planning is as follows.

win2k server must have at least SP2 !
    - ADprep /forestprep on the schema master
    - ADprep /domainprep on the Infrastructure master

- Placing the new server
    - Make it a member server
    - Install AD on the new server no other services yet. If i'm correct all the users will be transported, together with all GP.

- Make it a GC server
    - Disable old GC < had this in but i guess i can do that in a later step.

- install DNS will be secondary.
    - Install DHCP (Not authorise yet)
    - Check DHCP configuration and if necessary improve.
    - disable the old DHCP and authorize the new one. Can this be done around without confliction !?

- switch FSMO roles to new server, i think this can be done earlier.

After 16:00 people stop working at this articular day so i can do the last things.

- Transfer user profiles, set rights and shares
    - Make changes in AD, can this be done with some tool ? lucky for me i only need to do 5 users i think. but i can imagine more then 100 users. Setting profile locations for that might take a while by hand..

- Move production data

I hope this helps u, and maybe u have a suggestion for me too.

edit:

The setup will now have 2 DC's on a win2k3 domain and all roles transfered to the new DC
    Do you mean the old server will keep running ? If so it might be a good practice to keep some of the FSMO's on the original server.
    Last edited by Silver23; 17th January 2007, 14:54.
    Please give points where appropriate

<I dont create ready scripts for you, but I'm willing to point you in the right direction>

Comment

Thanks for your reply, reading through your steps its pretty similar to mine. You might want to look at the FSMT Toolkit which is offered my Microsoft to transfer all your profile and share config to new server.

I guess your environment is a bit smaller so you could manually recreate shares, printers etc..

If I intend to upgrade the old server to a win2k3 dc also do I even need to transfer FSMO roles? I take it these get replicated onto new DC once I run dcpromo?

I also noticed that you are disabling the GC and then enabling on new DC, is this something I would to have to do?

Thanks for your reply again.

Comment

As long as you have at least one GC you will be fine. I advise you have a minumum of 2 (Just incase your DC that is a GC fails)

Take a look at some info about the global catalogue:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true

Michael

Ps - Both plans look good

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by jkhan View Post
          Thanks for your reply, reading through your steps its pretty similar to mine. You might want to look at the FSMT Toolkit which is offered by Microsoft to transfer all your profile and share config to new server.

I guess your environment is a bit smaller so you could manually recreate shares, printers etc..

If I intend to upgrade the old server to a win2k3 dc also do I even need to transfer FSMO roles? I take it these get replicated onto new DC once I run dcpromo?

I also noticed that you are disabling the GC and then enabling on new DC, is this something I would to have to do?

Thanks for your reply again.
          Thank you for your comments and i hope u find mine usefull as well.

My luck i get to start with a small environment, especially since this will be the 1st time i do this in a production environment. (Well i have been working with virtual servers in my own setup, complete with important shares and GPO) and so far everything is going just fine.

You should enable GC on the new domain as soon as it's a member AD server. that way it can start replicating the catalog. Enabling the GC also makes sure your clients can authenticate through this server.

I will disable it on the old server since it will be decommisioned, you could leave it on so the authentication (if a lot) will be faster. Otherwise you should disable it to conserve network bandwidth.

On my earlier comment, It's generally recommended to *not* put GC and the infrastructure FSMO on one server unless it's the only DC in the domain. something about it not updating if they are on the same server.(I've read a lot the last few days, so i might not have this entirely correct))
          Please give points where appropriate

<I dont create ready scripts for you, but I'm willing to point you in the right direction>

Comment

Originally posted by Silver23 View Post
            On my earlier comment, It's generally recommended to *not* put GC and the infrastructure FSMO on one server unless it's the only DC in the domain. something about it not updating if they are on the same server.(I've read a lot the last few days, so i might not have this entirely correct))
            Taken from this very site:

Note: The Infrastructure Master (IM) role should be held by a domain controller that is not a Global Catalog server (GC). If the Infrastructure Master runs on a Global Catalog server it will stop updating object information because it does not contain any references to objects that it does not hold. This is because a Global Catalog server holds a partial replica of every object in the forest. As a result, cross-domain object references in that domain will not be updated and a warning to that effect will be logged on that DC's event log. If all the domain controllers in a domain also host the global catalog, all the domain controllers have the current data, and it is not important which domain controller holds the infrastructure master role.
            http://www.petri.com/understanding_fsmo_roles_in_ad.htm

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk
            MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X