No announcement yet.

W2k Std. Server DC, AD, DNS, SID, etc. + DATA needs to be moved to Server 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W2k Std. Server DC, AD, DNS, SID, etc. + DATA needs to be moved to Server 2003

Hi,

I really need some good (and as clear as possible) advice on this:

I'm not that knowledgeable with this migration idea and what procedures to follow for a painless transition.

Presently, this is my situation:

- Server 1 is running W2k Std. Server , also acting as DC .
    - Server 1 always reboots without loading Net Logon - must be started manually for some reason - slows startup time to a crawl.

- I am trying to duplicate Server 1 to a new box and then shutting down Server 1 to be used as an emergency backup only.
    - Server 2 - running Windows Server 2003 Std. would take over the roles of the old server.

Here are the problems I probably created for myself and I need them solved:

1. I installed Server 2003 on the new computer, and I designated it as a DC, with AD, DHCP, and DNS. It is visible on the LAN but not accessible... even though IP, Subnet,are set up properly.

2. I tried to use ADMT ver. 2.0 from Microsoft, but it's a confusing process for me and has not worked as I expected, since I can't access Server 2 from the old server.

3. What about the security issues for the user DATA? I used Acronis True Image to transfer it over to the second drive. Do I need to disable the SID settings in Acronis before copying it over or can I just change Ownership once it is copied over?

4. When the AD replicates to Server 2, is it still intact on Server 1?

My question is this: What is the easiest and quickest way to get my Server 2 to duplicate Server 1? Being just a beginner at this, I seem to be stumped.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Laci

Re: W2k Std. Server DC, AD, DNS, SID, etc. + DATA needs to be moved to Server 2003

I'm presuming youare adding this new server as a new domain controller in an existing domain???

If this is the case then i would have done the following

1. Install Windows Server 2003.
    2. Configure with IP address and DNS suffix and join it to the exisiting domain.
    3. Run DCPROMO on the new server and choose New DC in Existing Domain.
    4. Allow replication to occur from Server 1 to Server 2.

This simplified process would transfer all exisiting accounts and AD structure to the new server whilst leaving the data on the old server for the moment.

Once replication has occured then you would need to either backup all exisitng data and restore iton the new server or you could robocopy the data to the new server.

Post back with more details about what you wish to achieve.

Comment

Re: W2k Std. Server DC, AD, DNS, SID, etc. + DATA needs to be moved to Server 2003

Thanks for the quick response.

I will try this out right away and allow time for replication. This looks to be a lot simpler than using the ADMT utility provided by Microsoft.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Les

Comment

Originally posted by Laci View Post
        Thanks for the quick response.

I will try this out right away and allow time for replication. This looks to be a lot simpler than using the ADMT utility provided by Microsoft.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Les
        Without more information about what you are trying to achieve i can't really help any more than i have.

Post with more info and we will be able to tell you in more detail what you need to do.

Comment

Tried out the suggested procedure.

1. Installed Windows Server 2003
          2. Configured IP address and DNS suffix and joined the existing domain rmXXXX.local.
          Old server IP: 192.168.1.100 subnet 255.255.255.0 rmXXXX.local
          New server IP: 192.168.1.108 subnet 255.255.255.0 rmXXXX.local
          DNS specified is 192.168.1.100
          RMServer2 - this new 2003 server is confirmed on the local domain.
          3. Ran DCPROMO on the new server and this is what I got:

AD install wizard
          NEXT -
          I chose: Additional controller for existing domain - with the following warning
          (Proceeding with this option will delete all accounts on this server)
          NEXT-
          I typed in my administrative user ID and PSWD for the domain
          NEXT-
          I confirmed the domain name: rmXXXX.local
          NEXT-
          I selected and confirmed the Data base and Log folders
          NEXT-
          I confirmed the Sysvol folder
          NEXT-
          I specified the restore PSWD
          NEXT-
          I confirmed all of my previous choices
          NEXT-
          The Active Directory Install Wizard started with dialogue:
          - Stops netlogon
          - Examining existing AD forest

At this point the error mesage came up stating:

Operation failed because:
          Forest not prepared for installing Windows Server 2003. Use Adprep CMD line to prepare forest and domain.

The version of AD schema on th esource forest is not compatible with version of AD on this computer.

If I follow this suggestion and use Adprep - will it render the AD on the old server useless for Windows Server 2000 which is the OS on the original server.

Does anyone have the proper procedure to follow here? Your input is much appreciated.

Laci

Comment

If you dont have any 2003 DC's in your domain at the moment then you need to prepare the forest and domain to accept 2003 DC's - Please see the following instructions:

http://www.petri.com/windows_2003_adprep.htm

Anything else let us know

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk
            MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you, big time. Adprep worked fine on the old W2K server. Now I'm ready to run DCPROMO on the Server 2003 machine.

The following request is probably off topic, and I apologize, but I need this service to complete the task I started:

Since staff uses the network heavily during workdays I need to do administrative tasks on weekends and evenings. I prefer to do it remotely using Radmin 2.2 from my laptop. Works great with the 7 workstations and the old W2K server, but I can't get into the Server 2003. Radmin Server is up and running properly on it and the custom port is configured. I disabled the Windows firewall on the server and I still can't connect from home. The Cisco router has a static IP and 10 ports assigned by my ISP for remote connections and I am using one of the last two available ones. Is Server 2003 keeping me out by disabling remote connections? How can I get Radmin functional on this server?
              I could sure use this service as temperatures in Manitoba tend to be in the -20 to -35 celcius range and sitting at home is way better than running out to start the car.

Also, is it OK to run DCPROMO during the day during high network traffic?

Laci

Comment

Working...
              X