Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• svchost.exe

Hi,
    From last 2 week most of the computers on our network are facing problems with services that relates to "svchost.exe"

These services are not started whenever machine is restarted. If we manually start services then after some time these services stops.

Attached is the error message.
    Cheers!!
    MCSE 2003,MCSA- Messaging 2003, VCP

Re: svchost.exe

Firstly Check for virus's on the PC's SVCHOST is often targeted buy a virus.

Also check this out. It should give you some ideas.http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/pr...chost.exe.html

As you'll see svchost.exe is a process handler for the OS, you can't start it manually it has to start at OS start up.
    The Univurse is still winning!

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
    ** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by entadm View Post
      As AndyUK said, svchost.exe is something you cannot just start or stop. And it has a wide list of purposes.
      It would be nice to get the error message, it will help us understand better what's going on.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Missed your attachment of the error.

EDIT: Sorin: You are faster than I. Entadm: Search the registry for the SVCHOST key and you'll see how many services use it.
        Last edited by rvalstar; 17th January 2007, 09:36.
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Services affected by this error are:
          COmputer Browser, netlogon, DHCP Client, Workstation, Server, Automatic Updates, Background Intelligent Transfer Service, DNS Client etc.
          Attached Files
          Cheers!!

Comment

Originally posted by entadm View Post

Services affected by this error are:
            COmputer Browser, netlogon, DHCP Client, Workstation, Server, Automatic Updates, Background Intelligent Transfer Service, DNS Client etc.
            How about posting the events from the event log?
            Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Try to use Process Explorer. Gr8 tool from Sysinternals, now Microsoft.
              Try to see which subprocess of svchost.exe does not behave properly...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

How many computers are being affected by the issue? Going on the error message you posted you might want to check the hardware on these machines specifically with regards to RAM, a quick check by going to My Computer | Right Click Properties will show you how much the computer is seeing, if its registering the amount incorrectly start there.

Comment

Are the affected machines in domain envirement or workgroup? Or were they in domain, but you have excluded them from domain recently?

Comment

All Machines are Member of domain. they run Win xp sp2. we also have WSUS so each PC is updated with latest updates. All machines are HP with at least 512 MB RAM, 80Gb HDD, 2.8 P IV.

Anti-Virus is Trend Micro.

Out of 1,500 machines 100-150 machines were affected out of that 90 % machines are working fine after restarting 5-6 times. But, on rest of the machines still problem persists.
                    Cheers!!

Comment

I had this issue this week too, with some of my stations that worked unbelievably slow from startup. Checking the Task Manager showed that svchost.exe kept the CPU load to maximum.
                      When I further checked the process tree, with Process Explorer (see my earlier answer for the link), it showed that the svchost session with problems ran wuauclt.exe. This is part of the Automatic Update engine. I left the machines to finish their updates (told the users to go and drink a cup of coffee) and the issue was solved. There might be a problem with this week's updates. We are using SUS too.
                      It will be nice if you could check which instance of svchost does the problem ad what is running underneath it.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

I think we all see svchost.exe spin the machine to 100% at first login from time to time. But I don't have it throwing errors.

To entadm:

Please go through EventVwr and copy the errors from there / paste the text here.

EDIT: You state in your 1st post you manually start "these" services. Please elaborate on which services and, if the event log doesn't tell us, start them up in a controlled (one by one -- wait for one to error before starting the next) fashion and then tie the error text to the service.

That BMP didn't offer much info. Not saying the event log will either. If it doesn't (*and even if it does), I'm w/ Sorin on using SysInternals' Process Explorer. That is one neat piece of software.

You'll probably need to sit on a machine and run Process Explorer waiting for an error dialog to pop up. Until you clear the dialog, the svchost in question will probably stay (I hope) in memory making it easier to find (0% CPU at that point I hope).

This is just my hypothetical on how it will go so I'm probably at least 1/2 wrong.

Good luck.
                        Last edited by rvalstar; 18th January 2007, 08:48.
                        Cheers,

Rick

Comment

If you're not infected with viruses, the problem could be related with Group Policy update. If client computer can't update policies from Domain Controller, svchost.exe will fail and restart computer! GP update occurs, by default every 89-90 mins! You should check if there is time interval between failures!

Are they (PCs with problems) in the same OU in Active Directory and do you have any policies applied to them (except default)?

You should also check in Event Viewer to check for specific error. And check did any of LOGs in EV reached maximum... it also can cause stupid problem like services failing and restarting... May sound stupid, but it's worth to try..

Have you done any kind of changes, after witch problems started to occur? Still lack of informations, but I can only give you hints what could cause the problem and hope it will help you...
                          Last edited by kojo1984; 18th January 2007, 12:07.

Comment

I am too busy to try and figure out what's going on with that, but it seems my WSUS server (which I suspect you also have) was somehow screwing up the push of updates, update them manually from update.microsoft.com and get all available updates, that seems to do the trick.

you'll notice that if you disable auto update and BITS service the error goes away

try that, I have read stuff from other people with similar WSUS issues in the past 2 weeks.

Comment

I do have WSUS installed (46 clients only), but don't have such problems (still). It's good to now a solution before problem happends .

P.S. Do you have updates for the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) to v2.0 and updates WinHTTP 5.1?
                              There are some issues without update (incomplete transfer of a files, "no good" authentication behavior, etc...)
                              Last edited by kojo1984; 18th January 2007, 22:40.

Comment

Working...
                              X