Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defragment while BackingUp

Hello everybody,
    Before, let me say that this is my first time here, and, i registered because i were reading the Forums and liked very much what i saw.
    I think here i will be clarifie all my doubts.

Allright,
    My first doubt it's about drefragmentation of a Windows 2003 Server that is in a cluster.
    My system starts running a veritas backup at 00:00 because it's when the system got less traffic and because of the lesser traffic i got at this time i wish to run a disk defragmentation too.
    My questions is:
    - shoul i do this at the same time ?
    - it will make conflict with some thing?
    - what you guys advise me ?

Thank's and Regards

PS1: The veritas backup runs for about 8hours, it's big and it runs through the lan
    PS2: Sorry my BAD English

Cheers

Re: Defragment while BackingUp

Hi, BurnUp.
    Welcome to the club !!
    Regarding your question: I would not do these two operations in the same time. They are both I/O intensive, plus your backup is over the net, for a long time. Sounds like a tough job, even for a 2003 server.
    Are you backing up the server on a daily basis? If not, I would do the defrag sometime when a backup is not running. And once in a while.
    Hope this helps.
    Let's see what the other guys will say.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

8 hrs -- that's a while. What is your bottleneck? I'd work on that.

You taking full backups every night or full 1 day on the weekend and incremental / differential the other evenings?

Regarding defrag on a cluster -- the cluster itself should not be an issue. You sharing drives between the servers (ownership controlled by the quorum drive)? Using a SAN or a SCSI storage array? What defrag SW are you using and how are you controlling it to only defrag the drive letters available on the server at the time it runs?

And I concur w/ Sorin that you should try to avoid large defrag activity on a drive while backing it up though the system should survive that scenario.
      Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
        8 hrs -- that's a while. What is your bottleneck? I'd work on that.
        The OP hasn't atually mentioned what amount of data he/she is backing up.

OP

I definately wouldn't run a defrag with a backup.

Try and schedule the defrag for a weekend job.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
          THAT could be the bottleneck.
          Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
            Or with what means. Maybe it's a DAT tape...

Edited: I'm feeling like a psychic sometimes, trying to guess what the OP has in his/her mind. Or what it might went wrong from a statement like: "My screen it's all black. HELP !!"
            Last edited by sorinso; 17th January 2007, 09:36. Reason: thinking loud...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
              Edited: I'm feeling like a psychic sometimes, trying to guess what the OP has in his/her mind. Or what it might went wrong from a statement like: "My screen it's all black. HELP !!"
              Obvious -- the user has suddenly been struck blind by an Act of God (Probably for having the audacity to make such a lame post )

PS -- no offence ment to anyone by the above, just my highly twisted sense of humour
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ok, thank you all for the advices, i`m going to put the cluster to defrag this weekend.
                My AD server it's very fragmented...

CHEERS

Comment

Working...
                X