No announcement yet.

Missing Windows Components

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Windows Components

i trying to setup RPC over HTTP - which ive done dozens of times before. This particular comptuer is running server 2003 standard, sp1, dcpromo'd.

when you go to windows components, there is no "networking services" to click.

>>Click Add Remove Windows Components, click Networking Services, and then click Details.

its just not there. neither is 'management and monitoring tools".

any idea how to get them back? im pretty sure they used to be there - but maybe not.

Last edited by JamesSF; 11th January 2007, 23:04. Reason: add link

Re: Missing Windows Components

What kind of CD was the server installed from? OEM? Original? Slipstreamed?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Just so you think you aren't going crazy. Win2K3 SP1 (slipstreamed) & it is a DC.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WinCom1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	462891 Click image for larger version

Name:	WinCom2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	462892
      Departed: 23rd December 2015

I would also do a system backup first!
        Go into your LAN connection Properties in General tab select install, hopefully Network Services should be under Services if so select it and click add .. you may need the original OS install disk at this point, I'm not sure on that.
        Note: I know this works in XP for the Client component so I can't see why it will not work in 2003 server.. hence the backup!

That should be it
        The Univurse is still winning!

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
        ** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

Try the trick I used here:

Also take a very close look at c:\windows\inf\sysoc.inf and compare it's contents with a file on another computer with the same OS. I can bet that there are some items missing or marked as HIDE. Specifically search for the line starting with "NetOC" - it should reference another INF file that conatains the list of network components available for the installation (make sure that "netoc.inf" exists too in the Windows\inf folder)
          Last edited by guyt; 14th January 2007, 05:04.
          Guy Teverovsky

"Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

This is a copy of the sysoc.inf from my Win2K3 SP1 (NON R2) server for you to compare. (Extension renamed from INF to TXT.)
            Departed: 23rd December 2015