No announcement yet.

no DNS Events in log.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no DNS Events in log.

We're running Windows 2003 Server (domain controller) and backup domain controller (windows 2000 server). They both have DNS running on them. Recently I have noticed the DNS event log on both servers isn't logging any error messages. Although that can mean a good thing, there have been a few intense where user visit some sites and dns isn't resolving the name and they get a "page can't display" Anyhow, I looked at the event log setting and reset it to the default, I still haven't seems anything in the log. Please let's me know if you have any suggestions.

Thank you in advance.
    Attached Files

Re: no DNS Events in log.

It only logs events with the DNS service i.e.:

Failed Zone transferes
    Failure up update A or ptr records etc

A computer running a Windows Server 2003 operating system configured as a Domain Name System (DNS) server records events in an additional log. The DNS server log contains Windows DNS service events.

Michael Armstrong
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: no DNS Events in log.

There should be something in there, before i cleared the log two days ago, it was logging tons of error messages. I need to see some of these errors to troubleshoot the none resolve issues. I believe should be something in the logs.

Thanks though.