WSUS Install on DC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSUS Install on DC

Does any one know if its possible/recomended/not advised to install WSUS on a 2K3 DC ?

TIA

Richard

Re: WSUS Install on DC

Possible: yes e.g. with SBS
    Recommended: no (because of the additional load on the DC)

Personally I locate a Server 2000 license and a mid spec box with lots of RAM...

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I personally would not recommend it. I like to keep my DC purley running AD, DNS and DHCP.

But... If you DC has a nice chunk af RAM there should be no issues:

http://msmvps.com/blogs/athif/archiv...ontroller.aspx

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I believe WSUS 3 (beta) uses MMC3 which is a memory hungry sucker. I know of someone who tested it and it likes 1GB RAM.
        Last edited by biggles77; 11th January 2007, 17:36. Reason: Typo on WSUS Beta version
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

It is possible to do this but there's going to be work for you to do by ensuring that load from WSUS dosn't coincide with user logon periods. Would all come down to your environment, the amount of users and whether you have a second easily accessible DC for when your WSUS is slowing things down. Let us know what you decide

Comment

Its a No No! here's my verdict http://forums.petri.com/showthread.p...highlight=WSUS

As the others have said In terms of loading if nothing else, its not advisable, then theres the downloading initially your looking at lots and lots which will cripple a DC with less than 2Gb Ram. Then theres the embeded SQL server to consider

I think your best bet is a small server with lots of Ram or you could run WSUS 2 which is much kinder on memory. But still not on a DC. WSUS 2 also requires an independant My SQL/SQL Server to run. Additionally you have to manually install some other components like BITS etc but all in all WSUS 2 can do a good job.

The other thing to concider is that Terminal Services should not be run with WSUS 2, I'm not sure about 3.
            The Univurse is still winning!

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
            ** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I COULDN'T AGREE MORE!!!

nevertheless, since my boss "prefers to pay peanuts for a space shuttle or even better, to get it for free" (we like to say something like: he acts as he is having a deadly poisoned snake in his pocket... ) i am forced to work with just one machine that runs as a server.

thank to that fact, my poor machine works everything... (DC, DHCP, Exchange, WSUS 2, File&Print server, RRAS, Antivirus server...yes, Terminal services run as well...), and it works pretty well i would say and quite fast (with 1GB of DDR and P4 on 2GHz).

yes, i did have problems on one occasion, but that was caused by exchange not by wsus. all exchange transaction logs were lost, and i had to reinstall exchange.
              but, that event finally convinced my boss that backup tape drive is absolutely mandatory in this setup.

another crash of exchange happened once again, but this time i had backup and everything was restored in short time. users even didn't notice something was wrong...

this is just one nice example that miracles happen, but as i said at the beginning of the message, i couldn't agree more with you people.
              whenever possible (unfortunately it never is ), use one machine per server.

it is expensive of course but it makes your life easier.
              and at the end, no one ever said that IT infrastructures are cheap things...

regards

danac
              BL

Comment

Originally posted by danac View Post
                thank to that fact, my poor machine works everything... (DC, DHCP, Exchange, WSUS 2, File&Print server, RRAS, Antivirus server...yes, Terminal services run as well...), and it works pretty well i would say and quite fast (with 1GB of DDR and P4 on 2GHz).
                If I was you I would be testing my backup / restore policy on a daily basis

Michael
                Michael Armstrong
                www.m80arm.co.uk
                MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by danac View Post

Well danac if that's his attitude I'd be tempted to go ahead and put it on the DC so that when it falls over you can say "I told you so" but then you'll get the clean up just afterwards.
                  If I where in your shoes and I'm not too far from there, use a PC with lots of ram. It can do the job and its not buisiness critical so try to squeeze him for the ram.
                  other wise he leaves you no choice.

** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by AndyUK View Post
                    Well danac if that's his attitude I'd be tempted to go ahead and put it on the DC so that when it falls over you can say "I told you so" but then you'll get the clean up just afterwards.
                    unfortunately, administrative people (and i don't mean IT administrators...) learn those things on hard way.
                    ...well, they mostly do...

Originally posted by m80arm View Post
                    If I was you I would be testing my backup / restore policy on a daily basis

Michael
                    exactly!

however, i DO NOT recommend plenty roles for a single machine, but just wanted to inform Richie that wsus can "happily" live on dc.
                    ...with lot of care and administrative support, anyway

danac
                    BL

Comment

Re: WSUS Install on DC- Security Threat

More than degrading performance of DC I Think it`s security threat cauze your WSUS will download updates from internet which will expose your DNS, AD to internet.

isn`t it?
                      Cheers!!
                      MCSE 2003,MCSA- Messaging 2003, VCP

Comment

Well thanks for all your advice, in the end i decided NOT to place it on a DC, but found a spare Dell 2850 with 4 Gb Ram, 270gb Raid 5 sitting around doing nothing.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Richie View Post
                          Well thanks for all your advice, in the end i decided NOT to place it on a DC, but found a spare Dell 2850 with 4 Gb Ram, 270gb Raid 5 sitting around doing nothing.

Regards
                          Why I never find such useless junk ?!?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                          -

Comment

Originally posted by Richie View Post

Regards

LOL if you find another one just sat around doing nothing let me know

Comment

Working...
                            X