Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The IE Cachesize GPO

Hi,

I don't get the ie_cachesize GPO to work.

I followed the steps in this link http://www.petri.com/controlling_ie_...ze_via_gpo.htm

When testing, the setting is changed to the correct size however the files under temporary internet files is still there, could it be that I copied the files there in the first place to test out the GPO?

Re: The IE Cachesize GPO

More information please!
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

On a 2 DC 2003 domain I used GPMC to add a Administrative Template that I downloaded from the link in the OP. I then linked it to an OU where my testuser resides in. I have set the setting to 102400 in both fields. I then ran gpresult to see that my testuser is issued the GPO and I have run gpupdate on both the server and the "client". I login on 2003 terminal server with the testuser and under Internet Options and the settings for temprary internet files the setting is set to 100 Mb so it works so far. I then go to the profile folder and the temporary internet files folder and before the test I copied 250 Mb of another users temporary internet files there and it still is 250 Mb of data there. I was under the assumption that the setting would delete files above 100Mb from that folder.

What I am trying to accomplish is that users that logon to that terminal server get their files automatically deleted from the temproary internet folder to keep the profiles minimal. Along with that I also work on implementing Redirecting Folders.

/Shogun

Comment

Originally posted by shogun View Post
        I then go to the profile folder and the temporary internet files folder and before the test I copied 250 Mb of another users temporary internet files there and it still is 250 Mb of data there. I was under the assumption that the setting would delete files above 100Mb from that folder.
        I'm not sure exactly how Windows or IE accounts for the size. It could be that you're circumventing it.

What I am trying to accomplish is that users that logon to that terminal server get their files automatically deleted from the temproary internet folder to keep the profiles minimal. Along with that I also work on implementing Redirecting Folders.
        You could configure the GPO to empty the IE cache each time it's closed.
        User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Internet Control Panel\Advanced Page\Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

It would be nice if you could provide us with some more info regarding what exact are you trying to achieve and what environment do you have.
          For instance, I use mandatory profiles to keep TS users' profiles' size at minimum. Is it relevant to you? Hard to tell from the info we have so far.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

The environment is
            1 File server with AD, 2003
            1 Exchange server also with AD, 2003
            1 Server with economy applications, 2003
            1 TS server with special applications, 2003
            2 TS server for common apps, 2003, not farmed
            1 TS server with old version of special apps, 2000
            1 Sharepoint server to handle the intranet, 2003
            ~40 users at main office works with PC's in LAN for common apps and RDC for special apps, 2000 and XP mixed.
            ~40 users at 5 different branch offices that uses PC's and thin clients and connects only with RDC
            They have today roaming profiles with separate shares for windows and TS maybe also separate for 2000 and XP.

1 of the 2 TS servers above got out of diskspace and we realized they had large profiles due to the fact that they had much cached in temporary internet files so I need to restrict that somehow and GPO was one way to go.

You could configure the GPO to empty the IE cache each time it's closed.
            User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Internet Control Panel\Advanced Page\Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed
            I'll try this but will that totally empty the folder or just the amount above 100 Mb in my case? I would like the users to have some cache left to speed up their experience espacially on the Intranet or am I thinking wrong there?

thanks a bunch

/shogun

Comment

The environment is
              1 File server with AD, 2003
              1 Exchange server also with AD, 2003
              1 Server with economy applications, 2003
              1 TS server with special applications, 2003
              2 TS server for common apps, 2003, not farmed
              1 TS server with old version of special apps, 2000
              1 Sharepoint server to handle the intranet, 2003
              ~40 users at main office works with PC's in LAN for common apps and RDC for special apps, 2000 and XP mixed.
              ~40 users at 5 different branch offices that uses PC's and thin clients and connects only with RDC
              They have today roaming profiles with separate shares for windows and TS maybe also separate for 2000 and XP.
              Making the mandatory profiles idea irrelevant.
              I'll try this but will that totally empty the folder or just the amount above 100 Mb in my case? I would like the users to have some cache left to speed up their experience espacially on the Intranet or am I thinking wrong there?
              It should empty the cache completely, I think you are right in your will to leave some cache available.
              What would I do is to wipe the existing cache (use the GPO setting Jeremy suggested) and then go to the 100MB setting.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

I got it to work now.

What I changed in my test approach:
                The GPO setting Jeremy suggested activates when you close the browser in my previous tests with the cachesize GPO I didn't open and close IE but checked the options through control panel, now I opened and closed a browser.

Before I copied files to the folder for test purposes but now I surfed youtube to fill the cache the natural way.

Before when checking the results I didn't open the folder but only checked the size in properties, now I realized that the number that represented the cache size didn't update when the GPO emptied the folder.

Thanks again

and reps to both

/shogun

Comment

GR8 !!
                  Thanks for the feedback, it's most important.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                  X