Adding a new File and Printer Server, Need Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a new File and Printer Server, Need Advice

We currently have 2 Domain Controllers on our Network. One Windows 2000 Server which handles all file and print sharing and one Windows 2003 Server which handles backups and antivirus.

I am going to be replacing the Window 2000 Server with a new Windows 2003 Server, I have the migration down pat but the only thing im worried about is the printing. All the client PC's printers are installed to print to the Win2k Server, is their anyway *logon script?* to redirect all the clients to use the win2k3 server to print without having to go to each PC and manually installing each printer again?

I was thinking just to name the 2k3 server the same name as the 2k, and use the same IP address, but from reading the forums it is not a wise choice. Once the printers and files are all setup on the 2k3 box I will be disjoining it from the domain, I want to make this install as smooth as possible.

Any advice would be helpful

Thanks
    Last edited by CryptoPKI; 9th January 2007, 23:56.

Re: Adding a new File and Printer Server, Need Advice

I'm not sure if this is best practice, but what about adding the old 2k server name to point to the new 2k3 server in DNS.

That way machines see the old server name while still not causing issues with the new server.

Matt

Comment

That's not a bad idea at all, I will have to try that in our test lab.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Morning m8, not sure if you're in the right forum but here is a script which will do the trick. I've used Micrsoft's scripting site to quickly write this up for you so you should check it out out www.microsoft.com/scripting .. here goes, paste the following into Notepad and save it down with a vbs extension, use group policy to setup the startup script:

Set objNetwork = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Network")
        objNetwork.RemovePrinterConnection "\\printserver01\printername"

Set WshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
        WshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\printserver01\printname"

Its fairly self explanatory but the first lines will remove the printers and following lines will create new ones, just ensure your server name and printer names are correct and your good to go. Will help keep your DNS nice and tidy too have a play with it and let me know how you get on.
        Last edited by Mouse; 10th January 2007, 13:39.

Comment

Awesome! This is what I've been looking for, I will definitely test this out and let you know how I make out.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
          X