IE LAN settings using a proxy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IE LAN settings using a proxy

Our company use a local IT firm for the original install and 3rd line support in a 2003 AD/ XP environment.

Web browsing has been painfully slow from day one. If I browse to dns stuff it gives the IP and local name of the proxy (ISA).

I have supplied them with tracert results of especially slow sites, and it shows the first hop timing out - the rest all seems normal with the amount and time of hops, compared to my home connection.

My question is, I have always seen the LAN settings in IE to be *Use a proxy server* with IP and Port entered when a proxy is being used. In our network, the *Automatically detect settings* radio button is being applied. They say this is not an issue.

Thanks for reading.

Re: IE LAN settings using a proxy

When you say slow - is it the first inital 'jerk' until the page starts to load? because this would indicated DNS resolution rather than any proxy server selection.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by phoenixmn View Post
      When you say slow - is it the first inital 'jerk' until the page starts to load? because this would indicated DNS resolution rather than any proxy server selection.

Matt
      Isn't name resolution for internet access handled by the proxy anyway?

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Thank you for your replies.

The initial *jerk* of the page is slow, but it doesn't get any faster.

For example, it will open a new IE window, but if you clear the browser cache, it takes a while to open the home page - Google.com, which makes me think it is a name resolution problem. The internal network is also slow. Browsing the shares on the file server can be very slow at times, even with only 2 people on the whole network!

I can get the exact models, but the network plugs in to a Cisco switch (possibly 1900) to ISA and then out through a PIX firewall. Whatever we try and browse, the first hop will always time out - is this normal? Is the Cisco switch scrutinising/dropping the overhead of tracert or ping?

Thanks for reading.

Comment

If your ISP is running you through a proxy then you are likely to get some odd results. Last night my connection seemed like I had a direct connection. Today these pages (and other sites) are a lot longer to load.

See if you can get any results from this helpful site. http://www.lagado.com/tools
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

From a different angle...
            If you are not using the proxy settings in IE, are you using the ISA firewall client?
            Do you have any more info about the ISA settings. What about browsing from the server itself (assuming ISA bypass)?
            Also if you are going through ISA and a PIX you may be NATing twice. That can effect performance.
            Since local shares are also slow, check to see what speed you are connected at.

Or the switch is bad.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Lior_S; 10th January 2007, 04:38.
            "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

The first hop timing out could just be the firewall refusing the the ICMP echo request which is quite normal for firewall setups, if you can give us some info in response to the above we'll do our best to assist.

Comment

Hi and thank you for your replies.

biggles77- Great link, thank you. I did the test and after clearing the cache in the browser I still had the original reference number, so ISA is proxying.

Lior_S - We are not using the ISA firewall client on the desktop machines. The only config I can see is that Windows firewall for the desktops is knocked off by GPO.

Mouse - The first hop also times out for local resources too.

Comment

Are you able to supply us with a trace route?

Comment

Since you have 'Automatically detect proxy' enabled is it not just taking time (the first time you open IE) to resolve the proxy server.

Do you know the proxy host and port? if so try entering it in the proxy address box and disable the 'Automatically detect proxy'

Michael
                    Michael Armstrong
                    www.m80arm.co.uk
                    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for your replies.

Mouse;

Tracing route to www.l.google.com [216.239.59.103]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * * * Request timed out.

2 24 ms 25 ms 25 ms btdhg555-hg3.ealing.broadband.bt.net [217.41.201.74]

3 25 ms 24 ms 25 ms 217.41.201.33

4 25 ms 24 ms 26 ms 217.41.201.106

5 137 ms 182 ms 25 ms 217.47.177.26

6 31 ms 26 ms 30 ms 217.41.168.25

7 27 ms 27 ms 28 ms 217.41.168.138

8 25 ms 26 ms 24 ms 217.41.168.42

9 26 ms 25 ms 25 ms 217.47.202.114

10 25 ms 26 ms 26 ms core2-pos7-0.ealing.ukcore.bt.net [194.72.17.117]

11 25 ms 25 ms 26 ms core2-pos10-0.redbus.ukcore.bt.net [194.74.65.202]

12 27 ms 26 ms 26 ms 194.74.65.38

13 27 ms 25 ms 26 ms 72.14.238.244

14 37 ms 38 ms 42 ms 66.249.95.107

15 38 ms 38 ms 39 ms 72.14.232.241

16 40 ms 41 ms 40 ms 216.239.49.114

17 76 ms 37 ms 37 ms 216.239.59.103

Trace complete.

m80arm - Not sure if we can access the ISA server, so tried a netstat from a desktop machine and get the IP of the domain controller?

Thanks for reading.

Comment

Hi mate, the timeout hop seems quite normal.

What are your DNS server logs saying?

Comment

Working...
                        X