Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nt4 Bdc

Hi Guys

I am trying to migrate my domain to W2k3 .
    I currently have 1 PDC on this domain but have serveal other win2k server which are joined to this domain.
    I also have another NT4 server which I was hoping to promte to a BDC and then do the upgrade on this after replicating and.....

However my problem at the moment is how do I promote this server to a BDC.

My plan is after upgrading to BDC to WIN2K server I can then promte one of my other servers and then do away with the old NT4 Boxes.

thanks in advance

Re: Nt4 Bdc

If it's running NT4 then just follow the normal promotion process - i.e. reinstall Windows NT4.0 and select "Backup Domain Controller" as its role during the installation process. Don't forget to re-apply service packs afterward!

There are third party utilities which claim the ability to "promote" NT4 servers, however I would not rely on them to be honest - follow the supported Microsoft method.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Is this NT4 Server you want to "promote" to a BDC, is it a Member Server or a PDC? If Member Server, it can NOT be promoted. This function was introduced from Windows 2000.

If it is a PDC then http://support.microsoft.com/kb/167248
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

thought as much oh well rebuild it is. thanks guys

Comment

Have you had a read of this thread. http://forums.petri.com/showthread.p...2345#post52345

Might give you some ideas.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi guys

Finally getting somewhere with this is what I have done so far still need some help just clarify that what I have done will work.

1. Built a BDC
            2. Replicated the BDC with the PDC
            3. Then pulled the BDC of the network and promoted it to a PDC
            4. Ran the upgrade on the promoted BDC and it worked.

Here my question can I just shut down the PDC which is still on the network and just plug in the newly upgraded server. Although there has been 24 hours between the replication but no users have changed. I know I shouldn’t have done it this way but I couldn’t afford to take any risks
            I suppose I could do this again but this time do it with both the BDC and PDC on the netwrok really jusy wanted to make sue the upgrade would work.

Comment

Working...
            X