d:\users\user2
    d:\users\user10
    d:\users\user20

The new location will chave the following scheme:
    d:\users\dept1\user1
    d:\users\dept1\user2
    d:\users\dept4\user10
    d:\users\dept4\user20

What would be the most efficient way of moving the folders (without loosing shares)?
    I am thinking of doing MS backup and restoring it to alteranate location.

Platform: Windows server 2003 enterprise
    shared folders size: 60GB
    files: about 120,000

Thank you

Re: Moving shared folders and preserving network shares

When you say "most efficient", you mean least work for you? Or least disturbance for your users? Or a bit of both?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Less work for me.
      I do not want to re-create all shares, and the process will be done off-hours. MS backup sound like a good solution, but it'll take some time to create/restore it. I want to minimize the down time.

Comment

Is this procedure of any help?
        I would ask myself if isn't the time to create a DFS. It will make your next time much easier...
        Have you tried Robocopy? It' in 2003's Resource Kit.
        BTW, the NTBackup should help, but sounds so low-tech
        Last edited by sorinso; 8th January 2007, 22:14. Reason: Another idea...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Sorin,

Thanks for the suggestions, the procedure mentioned by you seems like a possible solution, but I'll use robocopy. I used it before, but for whatever reason forgot about it's existence. NTBackup is a low-tech, but would get the job done.

Thank you

Comment

Cool, as long as it will get the job done, it's your call...
            Good luck and keep the forum posted with the outcome.
            BTW, DFS?

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Sorin,

I have been thinking about DFS, but due to my setup I am not sure if it is a good solution.

There are two buildings connected by a wireless cisco bridge (aironet 1300), and unfortunately both building have the same subnet (192.168.15.0/24). I am concerned about the traffic increase due to DFS, since our phone system shares LAN, and it works fine when the traffic is moderate (not heavy accross the bridge). Robocopy can synchronize data (at night) and there is an option to limit bandwith, so I might just stick with it for now.

Would you still use DFS knowing the setup?

Thanks

Comment

You rise a big question mark.
                However, I don't think all is lost. Even far from that. Your concern is more than relevant, giving the fact that part of your LAN is wireless.
                See this Microsoft article for some info regarding DFS. Do you need its advantages? Then go for it.
                DFS can be set in such a way, that it will sync the targets during the night (for instance). More than that, if you don't define two targets on the same link, then there will be no synchronizing to do. Why would you do such a thing? Because DFS has more advantages than replicating data. It can help you move a share from one server to another with few clicks only, and your users will never now the difference. Like the current issue, isn't it?
                So, this is my opinion. But the call is yours. I would try it, if I were you (and given the info you supplied). Carefully, not to suffocate your bandwith
                Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

AFAIK robocopy doens't copy the shares.
                  Only the data including ntfs permissions

I always used hyena to do that job..
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands
                  http://www.phetios.com
                  http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                  "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                  "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Hi Nemo, if it helps I've had much success with DFS even over limited bandwidths, as your using Win2K3 things should be fine for you but on 2000 DFS was a little ..... difficult to say the least. Let us know what you decide and if you do decide on DFS I would be very interested to hear how you got on. Good luck m8

Comment

As of right now I used this procedure since it was the fastest solution, and implemented DFS for 5 users only for testing purposes.
                      As pointed out by Dumber robocopy does not copy share, just ntfs permissions and files, I am using it to mirror the data between 2 servers.

Sharing and mirroring could have been done using DFS only, but there are few more complications which I did not mention in this post and are stopping me from doing DFS all the way.

However I'll implement DFS in the near future.

Thanks for your responses.

Comment

Glad to hear you found a solution.
                        Thank you for getting back to us. Feedback is most important.
                        Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Just a thought: if the share names are the same as user's home directory name, you can easily script the process of recreating the shares after moving the data.
                          Guy Teverovsky
                          "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Working...
                          X