Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High CPU usage after installing ISC BIND ver 9.3.1.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High CPU usage after installing ISC BIND ver 9.3.1.

Hi,

Good day. My name is Amir. I really need any helps from you guys on this. Two of our client’s DNS servers which are in Win2K3 been installed with ISC BIND version 9.3.1 and since then CPU usage of both servers’ hits nearly 99% and drops back to 0% intermittently . I figured out that a process called “named.exe” that related to ISC BIND is the reason which contributed most to the CPU usage. Thus, I downgraded the version to 8.4.4 for one of the server and as result the symptom got disappeared and I am planning to downgrade ISC BIND version for the server as well. The question is, by downgrading the ISC BIND version will this give any harm to server’s performance or something? And what are the advantages to have latest version of ISC BIND installed? Any explaination or suggestions are very much appreciated.

Re: High CPU usage after installing ISC BIND ver 9.3.1.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with BIND so I have to ask, what are the advantages of using BIND over Windows DNS?
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

mazlan-
      There is BIND 9.3.3... have you tried that latest. Also make sure that MS DNS is disabled. If your in and AD environment this may not be possible....though I doubt you are.

JeremyW- BIND is used for public DNS servers, as very few, if any trust a MS product in a high profile environment. And is free, though paid support is also available.
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

So is the only advantage the trust issue? Is it more secure than Windows' DNS?
        Sorry for going
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

hehe, thats a very touchy subject. Both are considered secure, if configured correctly. However statistically MS had more security vulnerabilities when using default settings. Biggest advantage is cost.

EDIT- I should add that i am referring to MS vs. Open source/linux in general not specific comparisons between these products. And that lately MS products are defaulted with security in mind.
          Last edited by Lior_S; 9th January 2007, 18:03.
          "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
            Biggest advantage is cost.
            Ah, but in this situation we're talking about BIND on a Windows machine so there's no cost savings. So I guess my question for the OP is a) are you in an environment which policy says you need to use BIND b) if not, why not use Windows DNS?
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Morning guys, this link appears to give a pretty decent comparison of various versions of DNS including Microsoft DNS and Bind, hope it helps in answering some of your questions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...erver_software

Comment

[QUOTE=Lior_S;52262]mazlan-
                There is BIND 9.3.3... have you tried that latest. Also make sure that MS DNS is disabled. If your in and AD environment this may not be possible....though I doubt you are.

Hi Lior,
                Apparently all servers are in AD environment after migration. Is that means version 9.3.3 is not compatible with Windows2003 ?

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                  Ah, but in this situation we're talking about BIND on a Windows machine so there's no cost savings. why not use Windows DNS?
                  I guess one of the reason ISC BIND installed in our Windows server because it's free. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Comment

Your right its free but then so is WindowsDNS if you've purchased a license for the Windows Server 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by mazlan View Post
                      I guess one of the reason ISC BIND installed in our Windows server because it's free. Correct me if i'm wrong.
                      True BIND is free but Microsoft DNS is included with the server OS. So you've already paid for it!
                      Plus, if this is an AD environment then there's some real benefits to having an Active Directory Integrated Zone

EDIT - sorry Mouse, didn't see that you already posted.
                      Regards,
                      Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

If the servers are also DC's then there may be a conflict between the internal (MS) DNS server and BIND. (You must have DNS if its a DC)
                        There might be a way for them to coexist f they respond to different nics (maybe).
                        hmm, i will have to think about this one.......

Why don't you post more detail about your setup meanwhile

edit- they obviously must to different nics (open is public the other private) but check within bind to be sure you are specifying only to respond to the public nic and the inverse for MS DNS
                        Last edited by Lior_S; 10th January 2007, 15:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
                          If the servers are also DC's then there may be a conflict between the internal (MS) DNS server and BIND. (You must have DNS if its a DC)
                          There might be a way for them to coexist f they respond to different nics (maybe).
                          hmm, i will have to think about this one.......
                          It is not a requirement that a DC be running DNS. It's just required that there's a DNS server available that supports SRV records.
                          Regards,
                          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

It is not a requirement that a DC be running DNS. It's just required that there's a DNS server available that supports SRV records.
                            Good point, we still don't know how many DC there are.

Comment

Plus, if this is an AD environment then there's some real benefits to having an Active Directory Integrated Zone

EDIT - sorry Mouse, didn't see that you already posted.
                              Thanks for the good info Jeremy. But are you telling that I would not be having all the benefits of AD Integrated Zone with ISC BIND?

Comment

Working...
                              X