No announcement yet.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Partitioning

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    Hey There,

What's the best way to parition drives in windows 2003 server ? In disk management i have no way resizing the already existing partitions because they together take up the full capacity of the disk. Is parition magic a viable option ?

You cannot reduce drive sizes in disk management, also you can only really work with Dynamic Disks. IMHO Partition Magic is a very good 3rd party tool for basic disks on XP and I have never had any problems with it. Please be aware:
    It does not work with Server (use "Volume Manager")
    It does not work with dynamic disks

You may prefer to try Acronis Partition Expert which, AFAIK, overcomes the above problems

Always make backups first, just in case
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Paritioning

Acronis Partition Expert has been remade into a "better" product:

Also no support for W2K3:

Supported operating systems
      New! Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
      Windows XP SP 2
      Windows 2000 Professional SP 4
      Windows NT 4.0 Workstation SP 6
      Windows Me
      Windows 98 SE
      I have not used Acronis so I can't speak to its capabilities. I have used PartitionMagic a bunch and it is OK.

As Ossian noted, it does not work under W2K3. I use it in my lab where I dual boot my servers w/ a copy of WXP. You could mount the drive in question in another box assuming you can take the outage. Using something like BartPE expects you having license to run WXP on the target which I'm pretty sure you don't.

If you use PartitionMagic, do verify your partition map in PTEDIT32 (included) as it likes to mix up your partition table. If you inject a partition in the middle, PartitionMagic puts it at the end of the table and makes all the starting / ending pointers have the correct values. Works for most things but, amazingly, not for their companion product -- BootMagic.

Also stay away from dynamic partitions. Any argument for them has one or more at least as strong against. Another half-baked idea from the MS disk management team right up there with the Windows Mount Manager.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Re: Paritioning

I agree - if you're messing about with resilient storage and/or fault tolerance and speed, USE HARDWARE.

For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you