Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIS server died... but we still have the images...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIS server died... but we still have the images...

Hi all

We have a workstation as our RIS server (not enough money for a proper server). Anyway a problem has developed with the harddrive which has the OS on. We have the images on a seperate harddrive which is fine.

How do we go about getting the OS back on and the images back onto the server?

Thanks
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: RIS server died... but we still have the images...

As you have the images stored on a nother drive i would re-install the OS on the original drive then re-install RIS.

Comment

And then when the RIS setup asks where to store the images, I choose the existing drive and it should pick them all up?
      Server 2000 MCP
      Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by tonyyeb View Post
        And then when the RIS setup asks where to store the images, I choose the existing drive and it should pick them all up?
        I think from memory you'll need to load the images back into RIS. Let me go get the notes i had and i'll try and rememebr from them.

Comment

Something to bare in mind;

I don't think the RIS Wizard will let you install the RIS image on the system partition.

Comment

Originally posted by simonsays View Post
            Something to bare in mind;

I don't think the RIS Wizard will let you install the RIS image on the system partition.
            Did you even read the opening post???:

Originally posted by tonyyeb
            Anyway a problem has developed with the harddrive which has the OS on. We have the images on a seperate harddrive which is fine.
            I have installed RIS about 15 times now on Win2k and Win2k3 so I am fully aware of that.
            Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Did you even read the opening post???:

I have installed RIS about 15 times now on Win2k and Win2k3 so I am fully aware of that.
              I did, but got side tracked whilst the reply box was open.

Yes, it should pick the images up as wullieb1 has said.

Comment

Ok got around to installing the OS again. RIS is now installed and it seems to work. It shows the list of Images when booting from network. Just need to test one out now!
                Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Ok got around to installing the OS again. RIS is now installed and it seems to work. It shows the list of Images when booting from network. Just need to test one out now!
                  Nice one.

Get another drive in a machine and get it tested.

Comment

Hurray! It worked on the test machine. Had to rename my old blank xp installation to be the same as the new one (if that makes sense) so that all the NIC drivers i had put in worked. Thanks for the help!
                    Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Hurray! It worked on the test machine. Had to rename my old blank xp installation to be the same as the new one (if that makes sense) so that all the NIC drivers i had put in worked. Thanks for the help!
                      No probs m8.

Glad you got it sorted.

Comment

Working...
                      X