No announcement yet.

Windows Network Design

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Network Design

Hello folks -

I have been given the task of designing a network which involves multiple locations. The primary location has the following setup:

1, Windows 2003 Std. DC
    2. Exchange running on a member server
    3. Single scope of 10.0.0.x/24 has been created on the DHCP Server

This main site is going to be connected to a remote site which is about 2 miles away. The sites are going to have a point-2-point connection between them using Cisco routers.

My question is: Do I need to install a new server at the remote site (for DHCP, DNS, AD etc.) or should the current Server infrastructure at the main site suffice? The remote site will have about 25 users. Also, how should I design the TCP/IP infrastructure for the new site? Do I need to create a superscope on the DHCP Server at the main site if no server is installed at the remote site?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Windows Network Design

How much money do you have? What's the lost opportunity cost if the link to the remote site goes down for a day?

I personally try to design a reasonable level of fault tolerance or CYA (CMA -- Cover My Arse) if budgets don't allow.

I'd suggest you need to be able to run the domain at the remote location with the 2 mile connection down for an extended period. That would include a local DHCP capability.

I'm also not a fan of a single DC so this remote DC could provide some fault tolerance all the way around.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.