No announcement yet.

migrate from 2000 server to 2003 R2

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• migrate from 2000 server to 2003 R2

Hello everyone,

I am currently doing an internship and i have a little problem. I have been asked to migrate the DNS server/Active Directory and some software... to a new server that is a 2003 R2 (new machine, brand-new with no previous OS)... I would like to know if any of you had a tutorial or could tell me what the steps are in order to do that... Is there any tool that i can use to make it easier? Should i just export all the info to a text file and then import them back?? Please help me !
    Have a good day and thanks in advance

Re: migrate from 2000 server to 2003 R2

Here is part of what you need to know.

Forestprep and Adprep are on Disk 2 or 2003 server R2. (Insert this disk into Windows 2000 DC and run each of the files).

However BEFORE doing anything, make a backup of all setting, data and System State on the 2000 DC and test that the nackup has actually worked.

Read the docs and see if you can do a practise run on a lab system before you try it for the first time. If you don't then I suggest lots of air freshener and a large pooper scooper.
    Departed: 23rd December 2015

Re: migrate from 2000 server to 2003 R2

Have you tried searching this website?

Forums Rules indicate:

1) Search BEFORE you post

Take a look at my main site at and perform a simple search by using the search box on the top right side of each page. Also, I cannot stress enough that you should always perform a seach on these forums before asking your "very important and unique" question. Many questions have already been answered, there is no point in answering them again. Duplicate questions will be deleted or locked out, and users that cannot understand this simple rule will either be ignored, or banned if they can't get the hint.

I'm not trying to be a pain in the a$$ but I have seen this question asked many times before. If you search the website I'm sure you'll find what your looking for. If you have more questions or you want us to review your upgrade procedure then ask them.

Michael Armstrong
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **