Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complete Secondary DC / File Server..backup

Hi there all..happy new year!

we currently have one DC which also stores all of our files, which is a database store, and user home drives..........basically, i want to install a secondary domain controller, an exact mirror of the DC just in case the DC crashes...........so not just Active Directory, but also all of the data, users home drives, licenses, etc.....

is there a replication way of doing this? suggestions appreciated.

regards,

Re: Complete Secondary DC / File Server..backup

Distributed File Systems
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

will that fully replicate EVERYTHING?...i thought it would only replicate files and folder and not configurations, licensing, share permissions, etc...

thanks

Comment

Sorry -- too much going on hence the three word post....

DFS will duplicate shares (point to one share on the DFS root and not worry which machine it is on)

As long as both DCs are GC servers, losing one will not lose AD information -- you will have to sieze FSMO roles if the first one crashes, but thats required in any configuration.

Licensing -- best turn it off and use paper!

Tom
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

funny........but honestly man, if you needed a backup server, i mean a full back up server, being a total mirror, not just AD, but the whole drive...........what would you do?...

would you just try and schedule imaging of your whole server on a regular basis?...and image that onto the backup server in the event of a crash??

Comment

It all depends on how your business works.

i.e. will you required 0 downtime on all data? If so then you could use something like this:

http://www3.ca.com/solutions/Product.aspx?ID=1519

Otherwise why not just ensure you have a good backup / restore stratagy and ensure you test this vigerously.

Hope this helps

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk
            MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

downtime of 2 hours is probably acceptable............

i've never tried NTBACKUP system restore, but i heard you have to install 2003, and then run SYSTEM RESTORE>........perhaps that could be done in a couple hours?...ideas?

Comment

If you really really need to have a mirror sitting just ready to go and you have the budget then have a look at something like neverfail.

I've never used it but i have seen it in use and it does what it say's on the tin.

http://www.neverfailgroup.com/

Comment

i'll have a look at them...........from budget point of view, we are tight, but they mentioned that we could afford > 5 grand for a backup offline server........

so from my point of view, i think, yes that should do something with one processor would do and 2GB ram...........so it would sit there, and basically as i mentioned we just need an identical image..........

so there are 3 reputable software guys out there who offer imagin software for such cases:

1. symantec - backup exec system recovery (to dissimilar hardware)
                  2. acronis true image enterprise server - restore anywhere option
                  3. paragon drive backup - alternate hardware restore capabilities......

i have contacted these guys and asked for their advice......as in, does their software really do as it is advertised..........so basically I think I'll have to use one of these packages and perform a regular backup to the offline server..........perhaps every couple of days.

Comment

The company i provided actually does this for you.

You have a server setup (doesn't have to be same hardware) that gets replicated so both servers are identical.

They communicate via a heartbeat and if one server is detected as down then the other server will take over. This i think needs a quick reboot.

Look a bit deeper into the option i provided and you'll see that it does create a complete backup system for you.

Comment

you are talking about neverfail?

well i'd consider that would cost a considerable amount of money............we are just small company with not much resources.............

if you can find out more, i'd appreciate it.

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by dublin_101 View Post
                        you are talking about neverfail?

well i'd consider that would cost a considerable amount of money............we are just small company with not much resources.............

if you can find out more, i'd appreciate it.

cheers

Yes i am talking about neverfail.

I'm not sure how much it would cost as i don't deal with it.

Have a look around the site as i'm syre there were more programs discussed before.

Comment

Working...
                        X