Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Defender

Hello,
    First thing on all of my Windows 2000 Servers and Advanced Servers was the message that it is December 31 and Windows Defender Beta is no more and go here for an update.
    Well, that's not what happened since it tells you that only Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP SP2 are required.
    Therefore, all of the people in the world that are using Win2k are out of luck. That one can obtain updates on other matters, including security implies that even if full support closed in 2005, Microsoft still wants users to have some security?
    Now this is what I think is a really poor decision: not all of the companies in the world are rushing for Win2003, even if they have most desktops in XP by now.
    What think you?
    Regards,
    Paul

Re: Windows Defender

About what exactly??

If i remember correctly is Windows 2000, in both professional and server, not coming to end of life this year anyway??

Comment

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Windows Defender is a free program that helps you stay productive by protecting your computer against pop-ups, slow performance and security threats caused by spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Windows Defender no longer supports Windows 2000 as mainstream support ended in June 2005.
      EDIT:

Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1; Windows XP Service Pack 2
      Last edited by rvalstar; 3rd January 2007, 20:56. Reason: More info
      Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by dickins_paul View Post
        Hello,
        First thing on all of my Windows 2000 Servers and Advanced Servers was the message that it is December 31 and Windows Defender Beta is no more and go here for an update.
        Well, that's not what happened since it tells you that only Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP SP2 are required.
        Therefore, all of the people in the world that are using Win2k are out of luck. That one can obtain updates on other matters, including security implies that even if full support closed in 2005, Microsoft still wants users to have some security?
        Now this is what I think is a really poor decision: not all of the companies in the world are rushing for Win2003, even if they have most desktops in XP by now.
        What think you?
        Regards,
        Paul
        I think that's the way the IT business works. If the IT department have not yet convinced the financiers to upgrade to Windows Server 2003, then they can now sit back and wait for the fur to fly. They did their best; now all they have to do is wait for the first call to Microsoft who will immediately say "Can I just take your credit card number or Microsoft Support account number please Sir?" (Rest assured that if you pay them enough they will keep the odd expert around to support you...)

Thing is, you can't keep on supporting a poorly designed legacy product forever; you simply MUST move on. So get your organisation upgraded and if they refuse, well then that's their lookout, not yours.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Alass defender has gone for us poor unfortunates that are restricted in the way we can operate. From my point of view I agree Stonelaughter, yet I can only sit frustrated as I'm restricted by national policy and other software that is not usable with XP (yeah I know it's laughable!) but that IT life I suppose.

Things have to move on, I just wish sometimes I could convince others that it's a good course of action to keep up
          The Univurse is still winning!

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
          ** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X