WINS it is necessary ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WINS it is necessary ?

Hello Good Day, First i want to say this if my first post here, and if im in the wrong thread pls correct me.
    I just want to ask after installing my first DC,(this is just a test server), im planning to install now the DNS, and DHCP, but what im asking, is it necessary to install WINS Service, if for example we are not using older version of Windows, thanks and more power

Re: WINS it is necessary ?

sometimes yes, it is needed. It totally depends on you're network and the setup of it.
    ALso it depends on you're applications. Most of the time i installing it.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

If the network is all Windows XP and/or Windows 2000 I never install it. It eliminates the possibility of the 'duplicate name has been detected on the TCP network" error 4319 & 4320 when you get the same user logged on to the network twice.

I have never had the need yet to go back and install WINS.
      Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Agree w/ RobW. If you can get by without installing WINS, all the better. It is an antiquated protocol (meaning it came about after I got in the business . It acts as a name server for NetBIOS. If you have DNS / DHCP working properly, there should be no reason for WINS. Unless you have old / misconfigured stuff, WINS should not be necessary.
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

I do.
          For example: putting you're vpn/dial-in users into a seperate broadcast domain. Clients can't connect to servers, unless the are using FQDN or ip adresses.
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE

Comment

And one can't accomplish the same in some other way? Maybe I've been running VPN's the wrong way. Would certainly like to learn the +/-.
            Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
              I do.
              For example: putting you're vpn/dial-in users into a seperate broadcast domain. Clients can't connect to servers, unless the are using FQDN or ip adresses.
              I'm a bit lost on this one because most of my customers have road warriors or remote offices and VPN is an everyday part of my service and I don't use a WINS server.

I have road warriors with Netsceen VPN clients that connect to Netscreen appliances, remote users with the Windows PPTP VPN client connecting to SBS servers, and site-to-site VPNs with a variety of appliances including Netcreen, Netopia and FortiGate.

To illustrate with an example, if I set up a PPTP VPN connection to an SBS server or Windows 2003 server with RRAS, in the PPTP TCP/IP properties I point the DNS to the IP of the server I am connecting to. From my remote location I can connect to the server using a NetBios name and the server resolves it - without WINS.

Am I off track by chance or have I just misunderstood?

Comment

RobW:
                I think you misunderstood me
                Next week, if i have the time, i will place a visio drawing if needed:

example:

clients ---> ISA server --> Cisco 3750 --> serverfarm.

CLients: 172.16.10.0/24

ISA external public
                ISA internal: 172.16.15.0/24
                Static routes point to the 3750 to find the other servers
                So far so good right?
                well lets continue:

Cisco 3750 switch (with ip routing enabled)

Serverfarm: 10.10.0.0 /16
                Exists DC's/Exchange/Terminal server farms etc.

vpn clients eq notebooks does not belong to the domain.

ping ts01
                Cannot find server

Ping ts01.domain.local
                Response

Ping IP (eg 10.10.1.1)
                Response.

Entry added into wins:
                Ping ts01
                Response.

'Cause the clients belong to a complete different subnet, the clients cannot broadcast to find the servers. Also the DNS servers appearently cannot be used (problably because the are not a member of the domain )
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands

Comment

Also the DNS servers appearently cannot be used (problably because the are not a member of the domain )
                  Excellent explanation. Looking forward to that diagram. BTW - the reason DNS can't be used is because of the DNS suffix in use. You may be able to do away with WINS if you can get DHCP to configure the relevant DNS suffix.

Rob, the DNS suffix is the reason your scenario works.
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                  Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                  www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Makes sense now. Thanks for the lesson

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                      You may be able to do away with WINS if you can get DHCP to configure the relevant DNS suffix.
                      Sure, But however, DHCP cannot be used into an ISA 2004 Enterprise array (2+ members). So you depend on wat ISA can deploy. That is: DNS servers, Wins servers, and an IP Pool
                      Marcel
                      Technical Consultant
                      Netherlands

Comment

Sure, But however, DHCP cannot be used into an ISA 2004 Enterprise array (2+ members). So you depend on wat ISA can deploy. That is: DNS servers, Wins servers, and an IP Pool
                        I'm not familiar with ISA. I didn't know you either way if you could use a DHCP relay or not.
                        So in your IP pool you can configure DNS and WINS? IIRC, you can't in RRAS, right? (asking because I don't know)
                        Regards,
                        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                          I'm not familiar with ISA. I didn't know you either way if you could use a DHCP relay or not.
                          So in your IP pool you can configure DNS and WINS? IIRC, you can't in RRAS, right? (asking because I don't know)
                          Using a DHCP server is possible if you're have only one server running. If you place a second machine into the array , then it isn't possible...

It's not quite true i'm telling. You cannot use DHCP on both the machines. If you want to load balance the vpn on both machines (by using NLB) then only one machine can take advantage of dhcp. The other machine can't use it, and you need to configure a static pool.

Because you want to create a standard (at least i want it) it's better to setup a static pool and using wins servers. The static pool will be created in RRAS by ISA Server.

As an alternative you can look at a Split DNS option, however im not that familiar with it.
                          More about Split DNS:
                          http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/Y...Split_DNS.html

That's why i think that WINS is much easier, and not that hard for maintenance.
                          Marcel
                          Technical Consultant
                          Netherlands

Comment

Excellent.
                            Thanks Marcel.
                            Regards,
                            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

you're welcome Jeremy
                              Marcel
                              Technical Consultant
                              Netherlands

Comment

Working...
                              X