Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Folder mapping "hellP"

Hi All,
    I am using the old standard way of setting users home folders.

In the profile tab, selecting the "H" Drive, and then the path to the user share.
    I am putting in \\server\users\%username%

works fine

However, I noticed that the users cmd prompt by default is the H drive and I had "forgotten" this happens, and then also when users install software some odd files wind up there.

How do I fix that?

THANKS!!

Re: Home Folder mapping "hellP"

Guess I'm trying to understand what you don't like about "H:\" over "C:\Documents and Settings\User" but that's just me.

In a CMD box doing a SET command I take it HOMEDRIVE=H: and HOMEPATH=\ while USERPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\User or equivalent.

CMD.EXE is by default going to open in %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%. You can change the "Start in" directory for any shortcuts you have (Start\Programs\Accessories\Command Prompt).

But that doesn't change the behavior of "Start\Run\cmd". I really don't know if that can be tweaked to something other than %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%. In the good ol'days, we'd make a PIF file Maybe someone else here knows a solution.

On your software installation odd files bit, could you give an example?
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

The command prompt thing isn't such a big deal.
      Apparently with some software installs, the program will put some miscellaneous files on the H drive because it is the users home folder.

I would like to fix that.

Comment

Example please. And where would you like it to go?
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Installed Mozilla Firefox

The profile directories went to the H: drive. I want them to just go to the standard place, because - what happens when I am off the network and I can't reach the H drive?
          This is just one example of many where apps that get installed are dropping files in the H Drive.

Comment

MSN Messenger - My Downloaded Files
            QuickCam 10 - My Video Captures
            Paint Shop Pro - a large amount of CRAP - picture tube folders etc
            Skype - My Skype Content - My Skype Pictures - My Skype Wallpaper

FFS... I hate Microsoft sometimes.

*I* want to organise my files - ME!!!

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
              MSN Messenger - My Downloaded Files
              QuickCam 10 - My Video Captures
              Paint Shop Pro - a large amount of CRAP - picture tube folders etc
              Skype - My Skype Content - My Skype Pictures - My Skype Wallpaper

FFS... I hate Microsoft sometimes.

*I* want to organise my files - ME!!!
              Wouldn't these be more the developer's issues and not Microsoft's (except MSN of course)? I'm just sayin'... we can't blame M$ for everything
              Regards,
              Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
              Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
              www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Back to comfortablynumm's H:\ software installation woes, have you considered share caching and offline files?

If the user is really using H:\ as the home for docs, etc. then being off the network is going to be a bigger issue than these odds and ends software directories, no?

Also, storage locations for a lot of these directories can be changed -- sometimes in the registry and sometimes in the GUI. Don't know about Firefox but MSN Messenger, at least some of Skype, etc.
                Cheers,

Rick

Comment

thx, I don't want to use H: as the storage location, I thought that setting it as the users home folder in their user profile would just give them a mapped network drive.
                  Why would software get installed there?

Comment

I think if you look at what get's installed on "H:\", it's not the software but directories and "stuff" that is user specific -- user caches and the like.

The software vendors should use "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Vendor" or "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Vendor" instead of "%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%" but that's something you'd have to take up with them.
                    Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Working...
                    X