Server 2000 partitioning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2000 partitioning

I have installed a fresh version for 2000 server; I now would like to create a separate partition on the same HD. I am having no success at all. Is there an easy way of doing this?

Thanks

Re: Server 2000 partitioning

Originally posted by TreborB View Post
    I have installed a fresh version for 2000 server; I now would like to create a separate partition on the same HD. I am having no success at all. Is there an easy way of doing this?

Thanks
    Assuming that there is any space left on the hard disk drive in question, then:
    • Right-Click "My Computer", Select "Manage"
    • Click once on "Disk Management"
    • Right-Click on the area of empty space on the disk in question and select "New Partition"
    • Follow the on-screen prompts

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

If there is no remaining space on the drive, you will need a third-party utility such as Partition Magic to resize the existing partition and leave some empty space to create the new partition in.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

I have tried Partition Magic 8 with no luck. At the beginning of the install I use at least 20 gigs of a 130 gig HD. When I was done I went to the computer manager to claim the unused portion, and it show none. Twice I formatted the HD and did it again and again. I must be missing a step, but I am purposely using only 20 gigs. I can not figure where I am messing up!!!

Comment

Is the disk on the Microsoft Hardware Compatibility List? Is it compatible with the machine you're installing it on?

We need more information about the process you followed when you installed Windows, about how big the drive is showing in Disk Management, about what happened with Partition Magic... etc etc.

If the drive is only showing as a 20Gb drive then it is either incompatible with the hardware or with Windows, or it is broken.

Have you at any point low-level formatted it? Doing a low-level format on an IDE drive will effectively destroy it.

Tom

Comment

During installation of Partition Magic, It has an error code (Right now I cannot remember what it is) and cannot be used. I do believe the HD is compatible, when viewing with the computer manager opened it show the whole HD as the partition. When I format it I try to put in the size of the partition I want, but it will not change. It states what the Minimum should be and there is a figure in the request spot and it won’t change. I am going to format the HD again and remove the CD, restart and install again. I printed pages from this site on how to install 2000. It has the same steps I used. But I must be missing something. One last question! Can Partition Magic work on windows 2K server? Or does the server not allow programs like that to modify or change things?
            Thanks

Comment

The error message you will get is because its not really designed for server OS'es.

For servers you will need to look at something along the lines of server magic.

I'd still go with Stonelaughter's option and check in Disk Management for the remaining portion of the disk.

Please remember that the disk will be unformatted and you will need to create the partition from scratch.

Comment

I do believe the HD is compatible, when viewing with the computer manager opened it show the whole HD as the partition.
                Yes but HOW BIG? 20Gb or 130Gb? If it's 20Gb, then I still reckon your drive could be goosed. If it's 130Gb, then you'll need a 3rd party tool to resize the partition.

When you install Windows 2000 Server, you should delete all existing partitions (except for any manufacturer diagnostic partitions) and select "Unpartitioned space" to create a partition in. It should then ask you how big you want it to be, and you should be able to type the desired size into the box. You may have to delete the existing contents of the box before you can type.

Tom

Comment

Actually there is still the big drive fault in 2000 where it won't read drives after 137GB.

I need to dig out the fix for this so bear with me.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/305098

Comment

I was successful installing W2K on a 250 GB disk but I have a slipstreamed W2K CD with SP4.
                    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
                      I was successful installing W2K on a 250 GB disk but I have a slipstreamed W2K CD with SP4.
                      It may have fixed it in SP4 but its been that long since i installed 2000 i can't remember.

Does help though if the OP tolds us small details like this.

Comment

BTW, all SP3+ give you is the correct ATAPI.SYS. You still need the reg tweaks from your link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305098

And the partition you install W2K on must fit below the 137 GB barrier as the reg tweak comes after install.

I believe you can do the same w/ SP1 (or whatever has been released w/out slipstreaming) and immediately apply SP3+ plus the reg tweaks and still be OK.

Sorry for omitting those "minor" details in my initial post. Had to run at the time.
                        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                          X