DNS resolution across different domains

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS resolution across different domains

I have searched on here and on the net but not had much luck.......

We want the domain controller BGNOTES, the DC for that office. We want them to query our DNS server BNENOTES DC for DNS queries

From the BGNOTES server I can ping our BNENOTES server.

but if I add Host (A) records for our bne and reverse lookups I cannot resolve ns lookup queries

I've tried adding in the Zone Transfers, adding it in Name Server records, still no joy..........

Anyway I can query this across domains, thanks

Re: DNS resolution across different domains

You want the local domain DC (BGNOTES) to query your other DNS (BNENOTES) server for all requests for requests not answered?

If you want unanswered requests add BNENOTES' IP as a forwarder address and you're done.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

cheers ahinson, tried this but it doesn't seem to work, unless I'm doing something wrong.

I go to the root of BGNOTES, so click on the top of the DNS structure. Go to Actions/Properties. Then in the Forwarders tab I'm entering the Domain as BNENOTES.local and adding the IP 192.168.130.x which is our DNS server we want BGNOTES to query

nslookup doesn't resolve it, if this is set right do I need to flush the DNS cache

does the IP need adding in the Interfaces tab

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by spides View Post
        cheers ahinson, tried this but it doesn't seem to work, unless I'm doing something wrong.

I go to the root of BGNOTES, so click on the top of the DNS structure. Go to Actions/Properties. Then in the Forwarders tab I'm entering the Domain as BNENOTES.local and adding the IP 192.168.130.x which is our DNS server we want BGNOTES to query

nslookup doesn't resolve it, if this is set right do I need to flush the DNS cache

does the IP need adding in the Interfaces tab

Thanks
        I'm not too sure what your trying to do but to add a forwarder to my servers DNS server i would do the following.

1. Open up the DNS console on the server you want to add the forwarder to. In your case this would be BGNOTES.
        2. Right click on BGNOTES sever icon.
        3. Select Properties.
        4. Click on the Forwarders tab and add the IP address of BNENOTES into the DNS forwarders box and click on add. See attached image.
        Attached Files

Comment

many thanks wullieb1, that does work, it resolves

how can I get a reverse lookup to work, I tried creating a reverse lookup zone but that didn't work

many thanks

Comment

Does your Reverse Lookup Zone have any PTR Records in it?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

yes I've created a PTR record in the Reverse lookup zone and given the entry the full name, so like bnenotes.bnemain.local and the IP

when I do a nslookup of the IP it says non existant domain............

will I need to make the entry of bnenotes.the domain the DNS server is on

Comment

Glad to have helped.

Can you post the exact message from nslookup please.

Comment

wullieb1, when I type the complete domain name, so bnenotes.bne.local it resolves the nslookup query so I'm figuring that is working. Now I just need to try a client trying a nslookup request

I would of guessed just doing forwarders will be easier than creating stub zones at other sites that we want to query our DNS server, even though they may not be Domain Controllers.............would that work as well

cheers mate

Comment

I've never worked with stub zones as we're still in the process of moving across to 2003 so can't really answer that.

This may help you a bit with that question.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...tub_Zones.html

Remember though that your DNS servers don't need to be DC's to be DNS servers.

Comment

Working...
                    X