No announcement yet.

strange problem when pinging my server!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange problem when pinging my server!

Hello,

I am having 3 computers in a workgroup kind of setup. Each system is loaded with with Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition. All 3 systems are connected to a central router from where they get internet access. My problem is that, when i am trying to ping any of my server from another server through hostname it doesn't work and get following message:

Ping request could not find host <HOST NAME>. Please check the name and try again.

If i try to ping the same server using its IP address then i get successful reply. I have already enabled the ICMP option in my Windows firewall to "Allow incoming echo request". Why is this strange thing happening? Can this be any problem with DNS settings?

Please guide me here. Thanks.

Re: strange problem when pinging my server!

There's no netbios name resolution occuring. Are you using an internal or external server for dns resolution?

If it's internal add an A record for the machines in question. Machines with static addresses aren't updated using dynamic update because they don't use DHCP.

Alternatively set the following on the machine you want to become the master browser...
    Location: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Par ameters
    Key: MaintainList=Yes
    Key: IsDomainMaster=Yes
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I am using my router IP address for DNS resolution and I have given static IP address for each server.

And could you please describe in further detail regarding adding an A record? And since all my three servers are in a workgroup, do i still need to maintain master browser?

Regards,

Comment

Since you're in a workgroup and you're using your router for your DNS (proxy) then you can't add an A record because you don't have an internal DNS server.

You'll need to make sure that all the computers have the Computer Browser service running and on one of them configure it as the master browser (see Andrew's post)
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Or you can add an entry to your HOSTS file.

Comment

YES.. thats what i did.. i.e., added other server's ip address and its hostname in the hosts file and now pinging the server works fine.. thanks guys..

regards,

Comment

Originally posted by g_srinivas View Post
              YES.. thats what i did.. i.e., added other server's ip address and its hostname in the hosts file and now pinging the server works fine.. thanks guys..

regards,
              Gald to see it worked.

The only problem you have now is making sure all you clients have the same HOSTS file.

Comment

maybe setting up a winsserver instead of a host file?
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands
                http://www.phetios.com
                http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                  maybe setting up a winsserver instead of a host file?
                  Technically, a WINS server would take the place of an LMHosts file, not a HOSTS file. A HOSTS file is designed to forestall the need for a DNS query and is not related to NETBIOS. I do accept however that the end result will be the same in this case; I just felt it was important to make the distinction clear.

Tom
                  For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

If you have 3 computers each with Server 2003 on it then promote on to be a DC and install DNS would be my option of attack.

Just on a side note why are you using 3 server os'es as workstations??

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
                      Technically, a WINS server would take the place of an LMHosts file, not a HOSTS file. A HOSTS file is designed to forestall the need for a DNS query and is not related to NETBIOS. I do accept however that the end result will be the same in this case; I just felt it was important to make the distinction clear.

I totally agree
                      Marcel
                      Technical Consultant
                      Netherlands
                      http://www.phetios.com
                      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                        If you have 3 computers each with Server 2003 on it then promote on to be a DC and install DNS would be my option of attack.

Just on a side note why are you using 3 server os'es as workstations??
                        I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to be a DC to install DNS. However there are other benefits to using a domain, DHCP and DNS on one of the servers.
                        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                        http://www.wintra.co.il/
                        sigpic
                        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
                          I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to be a DC to install DNS. However there are other benefits to using a domain, DHCP and DNS on one of the servers.
                          Nope you are correct it doesn't need to be a DC to have DNS but it does make life a whole lot easier especially when you computers go from 3 to 30 in one swoop.

Comment

Working...
                          X