Recovering a failed disk in a software raid mirror

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovering a failed disk in a software raid mirror

Does anyone know if there is a documented way to properly replace a failed physical disk that is a member of a software RAID 1.

Parameters:
    Windows Server 2003
    RAID 1
    Failed disk is disk 0

Everytime I have had to deal with this the server will not boot when you put in the new disk. I am looking for the proper way of doing this. The only way that has worked for me is to make a bootable floppy putting ntldr, ntdetect.com, and boot.ini onto a floppy and modifying the boot.ini to map to disk 1. Once in the OS then I recreate the mirror and resynch onto disk 0 but the results have been mixed.

I just would be interested to know if there is another way of doing this and if Microsoft has ever documented such a procedure?????

Thanks to anyone that can shed some light on this matter....

Re: Recovering a failed disk in a software raid mirror

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323432/

and more to your query:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/120227/

I really dislike dynamic disks and software RAID1 is, IMHO, substandard. Get a decent RAID card and do it in HW. Total cost of ownership will be lower.
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

That second KB article is exactly what I was looking for.

I totally agree with the whole hardware RAID thing. Unfortunately, I work as a tech support analyst for a rather large computer manufacturer and I have to support customer's that have implemented software RAID.

I really appreciate your prompt reply on this too.

Have a good one.

Comment

Instead of changing to boot.ini, I used to change the Primary drive in the BIOS (assuming you have that option). Saved a bit of dicking around.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
        X