Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• confusion and problem slipstreaming w2k3

top o' the morning to you all. here's my sitch:

my confusion: following daniel's instructions to the letter, applying sp1 is only updating the i386 folder. sounds right. but then, in making the iso, he says to also delete the docs, support, value added, and components folders. forget about the fact that i don't have a 'components' folder; why delete them? they weren't changed. then he says to add them back in at a later step. from where? again, nothing was changed.

my problem: i figured the best thing to try would be to ignore the delete/re-add of those folders and just delete/re-add the i386 folder and then burn the iso. everything seems to go okay (no errors and winiso still shows the image as bootable). but, when i try to boot, i get the following black screen/white text error:
    Code:
    INF file txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing, status 14.
    Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.
    so, my question: where's the 'any' key? okay, my real question(s): what's the deal with deleting/re-adding those non-changed folders? what's the deal with that error? google gave me plenty of hits, but no answers.

thx!

Re: confusion and problem slipstreaming w2k3

When I meant delete and re-add the folders it was from the ISO file itself, in order to get the most current ones. I see no problem there, what does it matter if you do delete and re-add them?

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

firstly, sorry for posting the wrong place...

secondly, thx for the reply. to your reply...

yes, i understand that you mean to delete and re-add from/to the iso file. i see no harm in deleting/re-adding those folders. but, once i've deleted them, what's my new source for re-adding them? my w2k3 cd? at that point, what's different about them? again, the update has only been applied to i386 folder, so it sounds like i'm replacing those other folders with identical other folders.

odds are, though, that i'm completely daft and not understanding something. i eagerly await your wizened response...

thx, again!

Comment

When you copy the entire Win2003 CD to the HD, slipstream it, you will get many new files. There was no point in trying to fid out exactly which folders/files have been changed (except for the i386 obvious changes), so I suggested that the folders should be removed from the original ISO image and then copied from the slipstreamed HD files.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

ah...i see what's going on. per your instructions here, only the i386 folder gets copied and slipstreamed.
          Code:
          xcopy E:\i386 C:\Win2003\i386 /e
          i think maybe for this should read:
          Code:
           xcopy e:\ C:\Win2003 /e
          that way, you get the entire cd. ah, it all makes sense now. assuming, of course, that i'm right...

edit: ta da! that fixed it. thx for sticking with me on this!
          Last edited by shmengie; 16th December 2006, 00:22. Reason: more info

Comment

You are right. I will fix the wording.
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

i knew i'd be right about at least one thing before the end of the year.

thx, again!

Comment

Working...
              X