Help Required Setting up Windows 2003 Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Required Setting up Windows 2003 Server

Could someone describe or point me to a resource that will guide me through the installation and configuration of Windows 2003 Server?

I'm very new at this so a little nervous about undertaking an upgrade on our Office network.

I'll start by describing what we have now.

We have a computer running Windows NT4 Server hosting the LEWIS Domain for the simple purpose of file storage and access. This computer is very old and we want to replace it.

14 users of client PCs sign into the LEWIS domain and have access to files and folders saved on the server PC. These mainly consist of Word documents.

We plan to purchase a new PC and install Windows 2003 Server on it just to provide the same service as the one it replaces. I've never undertaken such an installation and would be very gratefull of some guidance, ideally a step by step guide!

Many thanks

John

Re: Help Required Setting up Windows 2003 Server

There's some great resources at www.petri.com

Install 2003
    http://www.petri.com/install_windows_2003.htm

Install Active Directory
    http://www.petri.com/how_to_install_...ndows_2003.htm

Use ADMT to migrate NT to 2003
    http://www.petri.com/active_director...ndows_2003.htm
    Note: ADMT v3 is available http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I am sure you know this already but before you proceed make sure you have a complete working backup of NT4 just in case something bad happens you have something to fall back on.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I'm slowly building up the courage to do this myself and your help has been very useful.

The existing NT4 Server PC will simply be powered off and disconnected so if the worst comes to the worst, I can always just re-connect it.

Of course I'm more used to setting up the simple Peer-to-Peer LAN. To share a folder and it's contents was quite simple.

Cheers

John

Comment

If you are going to simply disconnect and reconnect it, make sure you backup all the user profiles.

Comment

Just a couple more questions.

The first drive in the new server will be a 250Gb.

What would be a reasonable size for the partition containing the operating system - Windows 2003 Server?

As some of the client PCs are still running Windows 98 can I use the NTFS format on the server?

John

Comment

Originally posted by datasafe View Post
              What would be a reasonable size for the partition containing the operating system - Windows 2003 Server?
              Around 30 gigs I would say is a safe bet. But a better configuration would be
              -2 hdd in a RAID 1 set for the OS
              -3 or more hdd in a RAID 5 set for the data
              Others with more experience may have better suggestions.

As some of the client PCs are still running Windows 98 can I use the NTFS format on the server?
              Yes, it won't be a problem.
              Regards,
              Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
              Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
              www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by datasafe View Post
                .......for the simple purpose of file storage and access. This computer is very old and we want to replace it.

14 users of client PCs sign into the LEWIS domain and have access to files and folders saved on the server PC.
                I hate to crash the party but a new server 2003 for 14 users accessing files is way overkill. Unless you ever plan to use all the other features, buy a NAS, and keep the NT4 server for authentication.
                "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Have you considered SBS 2003 Premium? With 14 users it is well worth looking at and is very cost effective.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Good call, SBS 2003 will be a cost effective option and you can always upgrade to standard version if needed. Also just to let you know if you have win 98 PC's they will have issues with windows 2003 server. Win98 is not really compatible with 2003 AD model.

Comment

Will I find SBS 2003 easy to configure? Does it use AD?

Comment

SBS uses wizards to assist with the configuration and that makes it a lot easier to setup than the standard 2003 Server. Yes, it uses AD.
                        Have a read about SBS 2003. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...s/default.mspx Look at what the Premium version has!
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                        X