Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing a Windows Server 2003 in an EXISTING Windows 2000 Domain

installing a Windows Server 2003 in an EXISTING Windows 2000 Domain

i have a remote office witch a brand new win2003 server install i have join the server to the network has a stand alone server can i now promote that server to a domain server?

Re: installing a Windows Server 2003 in an EXISTING Windows 2000 Domain

Have you joined it to the domain as a member server, or have you simply connected it to the network as a stand-alone server?

Either way, you need to run DCPROMO and tell it you want a new domain controller in an existing domain. It will do the rest.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

if i promote that server to a domain server what would happen to the 2000 domain server.
      would the 2003 server take over the role has the network domain server?
      what if i want to keep the 2000 server has the main domain server

thank

Comment

I think you should read this article BEFORE you start anything. http://www.petri.com/windows_2003_adprep.htm
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

In Windows 2000 and above, the idea is to have MANY domain controllers all over the place. The idea of a "Main Server" has gone away, except for legacy purposes (Windows NT4 etc). So - if you promote your 2003 box to a Domain Controller, it will get the Active Directory information from the Windows 2000 server (which will take a long time over a slow link, and probably hammer the network HARD), and then when that is finished, they will BOTH be domain controllers...

The Domain will need to be in Windows 2000 Mixed Functional Level - but I think that this will occur automatically when you promote the server.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
            The idea of a "Main Server" has gone away
            Not completely

Take a look at this before you make any changes:

http://www.petri.com/planning_fsmo_roles_in_ad.htm

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk
            MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm View Post
              Not completely

Take a look at this before you make any changes:

http://www.petri.com/planning_fsmo_roles_in_ad.htm

Michael
              Lets not forget though that these roles can be transferred or worse case scenario seized.

OP

The whole concept of AD is built around the multi master concept. This means that each domain controller you have in your network has a writeable copy of the AD database. There are no such things as PDC's and BDC's any more.

Comment

I ran adprep/forest prep and it worked great with no problems.
                However when i run adprep/domainprep i get the following message:

Adprep was unable to complete because the call back function (null) failed. [Status/Consequence]Error message: Windows cannot enumerate the folders in the local sysvol directory <C:\WINNT\SYSVOL\sysvol\domain name .com\Policies\*>. Upgrade of Domain Group Policy Objects failed.

Any ideas on how to fix this

nick

Comment

Working...
                X