Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restructuring my file server

Hi all,

I'm using one file server in my company that holds all the company's sensitive data, no fault tolerance or redundancy at all i know, that's why I'm thinking about restructuring it from scratch.

I just wanna know your opinion about the most applicable solution for this situation, shall i use DFS or Clustering?

More Info.:

1 Domain.
    1 Site, it may become 2 later.

Thx in advance

Re: Restructuring my file server

How many users
    How many servers
    How many PCs
    Anything else of relevance?

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

There is about 2000 users, 3 DCs, 20 member server or a little more, 1800 PCs, 150 GB of data.

All this numbers will increase as we're growing rapidly.

Thx

Comment

For a cheaper solution, with "only" 150 Gb of data, use DFS to replicate the data between numerous member servers. Fast SATA / IDE drives will be cheaper than cluster capable hardware

Of course it depends a lot on your budget and long term goals....

Tom
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

150GB of data for 2000 users doesn't sound like much. Are you sure that figure is correct?
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Dear Biggles77,

It's not about reputation or something as i got from your post, it's just a new project for me and i wanna know the appropriate solution, i need to know if there is a recommendation for using DFS about "Size of data, no. of servers, etc..." and also for Clustering.

Thx

Comment

Originally posted by adham512 View Post
              Dear Biggles77,

It's not about reputation or something as i got from your post, it's just a new project for me and i wanna know the appropriate solution, i need to know if there is a recommendation for using DFS about "Size of data, no. of servers, etc..." and also for Clustering.

Thx
              I just asked about the amount of data you have for 2,000 users. It looks very low and if you are saying the numbers will be growing rapidly and you have the data amount wrong, then you are going to be in trouble with your backup regime when growth happens. The reputation reference is in my signature and has nothing to do with my question.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Sorry for the misunderstanding, the data is about 450-500 GB i was wrong and as i told you lately it will increase.

Thx for your help.

Comment

What are your anticipated growth figures over (say) the next year?

What storage capacity do you have at the moment (type e.g. scsi, nas) and how much is on each server?

What are the 20 member servers used for?

Tom
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

I guess it may become 1 TB in the next 2 or 3 years, for our servers, they're:

2 dhcp and wins
                    about 15 or more application servers
                    2 SCSI file servers with 800GB each.

And finally we have SAN that we're able to use.

thx

Comment

Working...
                    X