No announcement yet.

Roaming profiles: to use or not to use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roaming profiles: to use or not to use?

We have been using roaming profiles for close to 2 years. We now think about using some other solution because of some important issues. Is there another way to perform drive mappings, personal settings and custom home folders for all users while they are moving between machines?

Re: Roaming profiles: to use or not to use?

Depends on how granular you need to be.

Drive mappings and folder redirection are easy, but personal setting will be an issue. You can always create outlook profiles on the fly @ login so that's taken care of.

Topper
    * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

What are the issues you are having?
      Server 2000 MCP
      Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I quickly did away with roaming profiles any time I started to support a new client. I find overall they are a weak spot for administration and very prone to failure.

Something as simple as logging on to two workstations can corrupt a profile and lock files on you or even lock you out of the network forcing the creation of a new local profile.

Unless I have missed something over the years, the only advantage I see to roaming profiles is you get to keep your own desktop and favorites; hardly worth the effort for all the trouble you could likely experience.

Without roaming profiles, Microsoft Outlook will recognize the new user logging on, and if you did a network install of Outlook, you won't get prompted for the CD the first time a new user logs on.

A startup script can map a drive letter to the user's folder on the server. My Documents can be configured to point to the user's folder on the server.

So if you have your e-mail and your My Documents, what else is do you need?
        Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Working...
        X