No announcement yet.

Move Event Viewer log files to another location

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Move Event Viewer log files to another location

Hi guys

I found this very interesting article about changing the destination of event log files:

I tested it on my local machine and it works fine.

The only concern that I have is the following case:

I would like to store all network log file on a central server. Easy way of doing this is to change Reg key according the mentioned article. Event if the shared folder on the network is not accessible it still works. I tested this case on my local machine. I basically unmapped the shared drive, which contains the folder for logs, and even restarted the computer. My concern now is how big can the Security Event Log file grow? I mean there is a potential risk of crashing the server if the file gets to big. There is no info about the file size (see attached pic)

Attached Files

Re: Move Event Viewer log files to another location

Pretty sure event logs can grow to any size.

There are options available to set the maximum size of log files and define what happens when those limits are reached.
    Attached Files
    Michael Armstrong
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **