X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• print remotely

Hi. I'm a network administrator "student" and we our computers and users
    are members of a Windows 2003 domain. The sales department has a one check-printing device, which is attached to a windows xp client workstation. That device isn't shared and when dhecks need to be issued, a staff member must log in to the computer using their domain account, and print checks locally. Person X is going to share the device so that authorized users can print remotely.

My friend ( other it-student ) says that
    1. a print device must be installed on every authorized user's computer
    2. printer drivers must be manually installed on every authorized user's computer
    3. physical security to the print device must be controlled
    4. printer drivers on client computers can be updated from a central location.

I don't believe him, are those statements true??

Re: print remotely

I don't know what you trying to ask.

2. printer drivers must be manually installed on every authorized user's computer
    1: In what kind of view? Quite normal is to share the printer on a Server.
    2: Depends on 1, however, if you share the printer on a server and you let the client connects to it, printer is installed.
    3: agree, always try controlling the security.
    4: Depends on different things.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Let me have a crack at this:

If he shares this print device out on the network, I don't beleive it is going to all of a sudden appear as a shared device for everyone. You friend may be correct that the device will have to be physically installed on each workstation that accesses it. If it was installed on a server, that would be a different story.

Because it is a local device, the security would be controlled on the XP computer it is connected to. You could have a security group 'sales' only assigned permission to print.

If the XP computer with the print device upgrades the printer drivers, this will not upgrade the drivers on all the clients using the device. They download the drivers from the host XP machine one time only during installation.
      Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Let me have a crack at this:

If he shares this print device out on the network, I don't believe it is going to all of a sudden appear as a shared device for everyone. You friend may be correct that the device will have to be physically installed on each workstation that accesses it. If it was installed on a server, that would be a different story.

Because it is a local device, the security would be controlled on the XP computer it is connected to. You could have a security group 'sales' only assigned permission to print.

If the XP computer with the print device upgrades the printer drivers, this will not upgrade the drivers on all the clients using the device. They download the drivers from the host XP machine one time only during installation.
        Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Originally posted by sarco View Post
          1. Yes. It needs to be installed on every machine that you wish to print from. Just install it as a network printer.
          2. Incorrect. as long as the drivers are installed on the machine that is sharing the printer then you should be fine. This is where you would install additional printers.
          3. This can be done via the security tab on the printer. From there you can limit who gets access to print on the printer.
          4. True (I think). Once you update the drivers on the main printer it will pull the latest form there. Could be wrong here though

Comment

User banned for registering multiple usersnames, double posting, not citing quoted references, and using devious forum methods.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
            X