Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other sites servers using ours for DNS

Hi Guys,

What would be the best way for remote sites to use our DNS Server for DNS requests?

For example our main office has our DNS server, we want the remote sites to use our DNS servers, what setting would I need to input on the remote site servers to point to ours. Would it require Host A inputs etc

Any help thanks

Re: Other sites servers using ours for DNS

hello,
    this is complex issue. Several items should be taken under consideration.
    1 Is there a WAN or VPN connection between main office and remote sites?
    2. If yes, what is the available bandwidth?
    3. what type of DNS servers do you have?
    4. Do you intend to route all DNS traffic from brunch to main office or just those related to some internal domains?

related articles:
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...dows_2003.html
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...rver_2003.html

Please get back with more details.
    Regards,
    Csaba Papp
    MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
    Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

Hi Spides,
      There are two possible good solutions
      First solution is you can configure primary zones in your main office site and stub zone in your remote locations dns server. By doing stub zone, your clients will query main office dns server for other name resolution
      OR
      you configure remote location servers as forwarder and on Forwarder tab you mention ip address of your main site dns server. When you configure remote dns servers as forwarder they will send all dns queries to your central office dns server.
      If you have lower bandwidth connection between main and remote site then first option would be best for you
      Last edited by ahmer_sahab; 5th December 2006, 13:40.

Comment

netxt and ahmer_sahab many thanks for your input guys, I can see I shall visit this forum a lot and hopefully contribute myself, I'll look into this guys and yeah I can see that the bandwidth between sites can be an issue as with all the DNS requests etc

Comment

here's a more detailed scenario which we require.........our DNS servers are in London, we have branches all over the UK, the branches have their own DNS servers but we want them to validate to London's DNS Servers.

For example the server they use in MAnchester is 192.168.x.10 and our London DNS are 192.168.x.20 and 192.168.x.30

Would it be best to make an entry on the Manchester DNS server with a new Forward look up zone, we have DomainDNSZones. and in that Directory add the two IP's of London.

Also in the Reverse Lookup Zones create the two entries for host to IP text files.

Would this do it............

cheers

Comment

Hi Spides,
            Your dns configuration doesn't look difficult to me. What you do is to create primany zones integrated with Active directory in london servers. In this way you will get reliability , fault tolerance etc because Active directory would be looking after your zones. Then you configure stub zones integrated with Active directory in dns servers of your remote locations. You also authorize your remote server for local name resolution. In this way those servers will not be asking other server for internal name resolution.

I dont think it would be good idea to create forward lookup zones on Manchester or any remote location . What advantage you will get by doing this ??
            and why you
            """" in the Reverse Lookup Zones create the two entries for host to IP text files.""""

Why you are doing this?

Are you trying to ask me how you can configure forwarder in your remote dns server ??

If you need more help in how to configure forwarder in dns or how to configure zones in DNS let me know
            cheers

Comment

Thanks Ahmer, read a bit about stub zones and that definetly seems to be the way to go.

When I'm adding the stub zone, say on the Manchester DC/DNS server with regards to replication I guess I would only want it to replicate with London and not with the other branches.

What option would i select with regards to replication, I wouldn't of thought I'd want to select all Domain Controllers in Active Directory.

All our Domain Controllers at branches are also the DNS servers. Would selecting that option be okay.

Finally I guess the zone name will be the root of our Domain name i.e. we log onto acme domain so zone name is acme.local

cheers for this

Comment

You also authorize your remote server for local name resolution. In this way those servers will not be asking other server for internal name resolution.
                sorry also how do I enable this, would this not be done as they are already up and running DNS servers

thanks

Comment

Hi spides
                  buddy if all your computers are domian controller then yes you can select replication option as to all domain controller. you donot need to authorize any server if you are hosting only stub zones in those servers but In case if you are hosting others zones in server besides stub zones. Authorizing servers as Authorative for zones is very easy. Just select zone on primary dns server (non stub one), right click and select new delgation. The wizard will start and follow the prompts. o far what I got from your questions is that you are not hosting DNS zones in your remote location. You want your remote sites to query all dns request to centeral server. then host all primary zones in central dns servers and use stub zones in remote location. For remote sites, use sub forward lookup zones. Create those zones like remote1.yourcompnay.local, remote2.yourcompany.local ...... and on primary dns server make remote server that are hosting remote1.yourcompany.local as authorative for this domain. In this way, those server would resolve local queries as authorative and for other quires they will contact main servers
                  cheers

Comment

cheers mate, will I have to get the branch offices to have their host files on their PC's updated as well with an entry for the London DNS Servers

The remote branches are hosting their own DNS scopes but we want to add our to that scope

thanks

Comment

Hi Spides,

Host files ??? I was telling you to update your zones where the host files come from.

when u'll create stub zone, during that process your remote site will get entries for london server. have u read about stub zones? In stub zones, you need to tell server about scopes that they are stub for.
                      I already answered you mate that for your remote site zones, make your remote servers authorize for that zone. The authorization method I've already mentioned. For london's sites zone do stub zone on remote server. What I think mate, you better read dns zones and dns in Windows 2003. If you read my posting before this post. I described you every thing.

Seriously study AD integrated zones and DNS so you would be clear what you are doing and how you can do

Comment

Can i just ask why??

Will/Do you have a DC on each site??

If yes then why not use AD integrated DNS zones and allow it to be replicated with AD.

You could then point your local clients to the local DNS server and add a forwarder to the main DNS server at your site.

Comment

I don't know why there is a DC at every site I'm afraid, way before I joined here............I've tried looking on the net for literature for stub zones but doesn't seem to be much that go down into great detail............so I'm not 100% on what option to use when I create the stub zone on the other sites.

Does it matter what name I call the zone, so say stubzone1.domainname.local
                          domainname being the domain of the local site, not the London domain name

Do I choose to tick to use the above servers to create a list for the master servers when I input the IP's.....

I guess I pissed off Ahmer..........wasn't my intention, haven't dealt with DNS for years

Comment

If you want to get up to speed on DNS really fast, I recommend Train Signals DNS Lab. It covers all that applies to your situation and more.
                            1 1 was a racehorse.
                            2 2 was 1 2.
                            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

cheers for that, just to add to the confusion, all the sites do not have DC's

Comment

Working...
                              X