Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with connecting to a member server

Hello!

Recently I installed Windows 2003 R2 Standard domain controller.

Then I've installed one more server running Windows 2003 R2 Standard Server, and joined this second server to the domain (member server).
    I plan to use this second server as a file server. I've shared a few folders on this file server.
    Now I have a problem: normal domain users cannot connect to the shared folders on the file server. All clients machines run Windows XP Pro SP2.
    However, I can connect to shared folders on the file server from local computer using domain administrator user account.

Please help to resolve this situation...what is the easiest and quickest way to provide normal users on the domain an access to the shared folders on the file server ?

thank you!
    Mihail
    regards,

Mihail Kravsun
    MCSA, CCNA

Re: Problem with connecting to a member server

Map drives to the SHARES.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
      Map drives to the SHARES.
      Chris, you put a lot of effort into that one.

Hi Mihail Kravsun.
      Did you set the proper NTFS and share permissions?
      What do you mean by "normal user"? Are these users created on the domain controller or on whatever machine they log on to?
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thank you biggles77 and Jeremy!

"normal user" - I mean user account on the windows 2003 domain without administrative priveledges.
        From some local computers, I can in windows explorer : \\tbfs01 and it shows me a shared folders on this file server.
        However, from some local computers, I cannot connect using non-administrative user account. when I try \\tbfs01 the system prompts me for username and password...
        I cannot understand why it works from some local PCs and doesn't work for others.
        Also, on this file server, I've changed in local security policy "network security: LAN manager authentification level" I set it to: Send LM and NTLM-use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated".
        Might be it helped and group policy is updating right now ?

it is a big problem because this server have to be available today-tomorrow, so I need to resolve this quickly....

any ideas please ?
        regards,

Mihail Kravsun
        MCSA, CCNA

Comment

for Shares: full control for domain users and full for everyone...I think it should be ok

on some computers, when I open windows explorer -> my network places -> then I see domain name -> the list of computers -> and when I click on my tbfs01, I get a pop-up window "username/password"....

thank you!
          regards,

Mihail Kravsun
          MCSA, CCNA

Comment

Just a thought.
            before we used the file server with the same name and that server was a part of different domain. It looks like windows xp computers still use old credentials.
            I am wondering if there is a way to delete locally cached credentials ?
            thank you!
            regards,

Mihail Kravsun
            MCSA, CCNA

Comment

I think that the problem is resolved. And the problems was not in local security settings.
              In past, we had another file server with the same name tbfs01. And that server was a part of another domain. On local machines we specified username and password for the old domain.
              What I did was: I tried to open the file server \\tbfs01, and then provided username and password from the new domain (current domain) and ticked'remember password"in order to ovewrite old credentials to tbfs01.

it works...

thank you for help!
              Mihail
              regards,

Mihail Kravsun
              MCSA, CCNA

Comment

Not sure I follow completely but thanks for posting your solution. I'm sure it will help others troubleshoot similar issues.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Jeremy -

The issue was simply that the workstations had credentials cached for accessing an earlier server of the same name; when they tried to access the new server, the cached credentials failed and therefore the user was prompted for valid ones. What I don't understand is, why did the workstation pass cached credentials, instead of the currently logged on domain user's credentials?

Tom
                  For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Working...
                  X