Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware & OS upgrade for TServer

Hello,
    I have a windows 2000 terminal server on a windows 2003 domain. Its a PIII and I have brand new hardware for it. I also need to update it to Windows 2003.

I also have Veritas 10.1 with Advanced Disaster Recovery available.

I would like to automate the upgrade process so that I don't have to manually reinstall Everything. Was thinking of restoring the old server W2K to the new hardware then running an in place upgrade to 2003.

Or would it just be less trouble to collect install disks (of course scattered to the four winds) and start with a fresh Win 2003 install on the new hardware?

Has anyone faced this before? Advice/Opinions would be much appreciated!

-Paul

Re: Hardware & OS upgrade for TServer

hi,
    Which edition of windows 2000 you are using and which windows 2003 edition you are prefering to keep? I am asking you this question because with some edition of windows 2000 you cann't upgrade to some edition of windows 2003. For example you can not upgrade windows 2000 advance server to windows 2003 advance edition. For more information check the link below

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...rtedpaths.mspx

Please check that you are allowed to upgrade from that edition.
    Please mention your win2000 and desired win2003 editon so I can guide you steps required in upgrade
    cheers

Comment

Good 'Gotcha!
      Doing a ver command and looking in system information I'm seeing it listed as Windows Server 2000. So I think its standard. I don't know if this is OEM or not, nor how to tell from inside windows.

I am going to Windows Svr Std 2003 R3 OEM. I didn't see anything about oem on the site link you sent me. That could cause trouble.

-Paul

Comment

Just my 2 Euro cents:

I have never had an acceptable success w/ upgrading a Microsoft OS. I always find it better to install from scratch. I'm sorry I can't enumerate a list of reasons, and they may be based on Microsoft antiquity, so feel free to discount my position. I will say I always find enough crappauge (That's French that I wish I had done a clean install. Others chime in or feel free to contradict me.

On the contrary, I've had no problem upgrading HW and repairing the OS to eliminate that BSOD. I only mention this to show I'm not a total upgrade-phobe
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Hi Paul,
          Command to find windows version is winver. It will tell you which edition and which service pack you are using. If you are using Windows 2000 std edition then you can upgrade to windows 2003 standred editon but be carefull you cann't upgrade for win 2003 enterprice edition.
          Before upgrade, keep backup of your sytem. Just in case

Comment

Ahmer and Rick,

Thanks for the advice! I think this has a reasonable chance of succeeding, and reverting is as easy as plugging the network cable back into the old server.

I have met people who won't do standing upgrades, "no way not for any price", so I've been warned. We'll just see how it goes!

-Paul

Comment

You have to try. As I always say, "Back up early and back up often" -- don't miss saving those key moments in the process just because it would take an extra hour +/-
              Last edited by rvalstar; 6th December 2006, 18:27.
              Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
              X