No announcement yet.

Exchange 2000 SPs and Hot Fixes

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2000 SPs and Hot Fixes

I currently have a new customer.
    This customer have a single domain server with AD, DC and DS on Windows 2000. They also have Exchange 2000 running on this box.
    Note: This installation is not SBS2000!

To find patches installed on Windows 2000 I used Windows Update who work fine to maintain the OS up to date.

However, Exchange 2000 is installed but I do not know which SP or hotfix installed for Exchange 2000.

This installation made by another have no documentation at all.
    Is any easy way to find out which patches installed on this Exchange 2000 and keep it update to date?

I'm really NOT sure about this, but you might want to give it a try. Download, and install the Microsoft Baseline Analyzer. I know that it's going over a system's patches and updates, so it MIGHT work.

Here's the link:

Let me know if it worked, because I never tried it myself with Exchange 2000. G'luck!

Sagemind Solutions - Web Hosting Provider
    Fast, Reliable, Hosting Services

The answer

is written right here:'s_my_e2k_sp_version.htm

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services

You can use the MBSA also from command line, which gives you the possibility to run scans on certain times and check the log files (XML or other format depending on the switches) later.

mbsacli.exe /?

Also there is a switch to run in HFNetChk mode.

Good technicians / scripters don't know everything, they just know where to look for the answer.

I'm not sure about patches, but the current service pack is shown in Exchange System Manager. Expand the tree view to see the server, click on it, and the SP and build information is shown in the right hand side

Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Tom is correct, this was already like that with Exchange 5.5

I'm sure about the fact that the patches aren't visible there, but there are other ways (like already said for example the MS Baseline Security Checker, you can also run it to see explicitely which patches are installed etc.). What I'm not sure about is the fact if you're installing patches (most of the time security patches, that's how the world is today) the build number will change or not... And if you can base on that build number easily to determine if a system is up-to-date or not...

Good technicians / scripters don't know everything, they just know where to look for the answer.