Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSUS - Questions

Afternoon all,

I have installed Wsus this afternoon and have a few questions about it.

Its all up and running and I am slowly getting machines to show under computers, one of the questions I have is when does the wsus install the updates on the clients that needs them? Can you shedule a time or is it straight away? I have setup wsus via a group policy and I just want to make sure that I can stagger the install times?

Thanks for your help.

Simon
    Kind Regards,
    Simon

Re: WSUS - Questions

Hi Simon,
    AFAIK WSUS installs all clients at the same time, but you could have different policies for different OUs and stagger times that way

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Hi Simon,
      AFAIK WSUS installs all clients at the same time, but you could have different policies for different OUs and stagger times that way

Tom
      Ah,

Thats a good Idea! Otherwise I think it will kill the network.

Cheers
      Kind Regards,
      Simon

Comment

Having all the computers install at the same time shouldn't affect the network at all. It's the downloading of the updates that will affect the network... and I think the clients download the updates whenever they become available.
        When critical updates are detected, Automatic Updates automatically downloads these updates in the background while you are connected to the Internet. After the download is complete, Automatic Updates waits until the scheduled day and time to install the updates.
        From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327838/

I don't know if there's a way to control when clients download the updates.

EDIT - From http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...ip/st0506.mspx
        The first point is that its important to distinguish the difference between downloading and installing. After a WSUS administrator approves an update for installation for a client or a group of clients, the update must be downloaded from its mapped source (either the local WSUS server or MU). Before downloading can happen, the client must check in with the WSUS server and determine what updates have been approved for it, as well as report its current update status. By default, a client will check in with the WSUS server every 22 hours, or the check-in can be configured to occur as frequently as every hour.
        EDIT - Ah, here's what you're looking for... and it seems you don't need to worry about it. Things are staggered automatically.
        Automatic Update Detection Frequency
        This policy specifies the hours that Windows will use to determine how long to wait before checking for available updates. The exact wait time is determined by using the hours specified here, minus 0 to 20 percent of the hours specified. For example, if this policy is used to specify a 20-hour detection frequency, then all WSUS clients to which this policy is applied will check for updates anywhere between 16 and 20 hours.
        From http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true
        Last edited by JeremyW; 28th November 2006, 00:01.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
          Having all the computers install at the same time shouldn't affect the network at all. It's the downloading of the updates that will affect the network... and I think the clients download the updates whenever they become available.
          From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327838/

I don't know if there's a way to control when clients download the updates.

EDIT - From http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...ip/st0506.mspx

EDIT - Ah, here's what you're looking for... and it seems you don't need to worry about it. Things are staggered automatically.
          From http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true
          Again Jeremy

Very helpful!!

Thanks
          Kind Regards,
          Simon

Comment

Afternoon,

My Wsus server has got a few machines looking at it now, but I only seem to have some of my xp machines and none of my 2000 machines?

What would cause some and not others to show up?

Thanks
            Kind Regards,
            Simon

Comment

Hi Se_Pi

Here's more info for ya! The ultimate WSUS resource page Ultimate WSUS Resource/

Give it 24 hours for your 2000 machines they seem to take a little longer

WSUS will snchronize at a time you decide in options.
              You will get notifications from your server by browsing to your server http://<Server>/WSUSADMIN

If your server synchronizes during the night you'll find that updates will be sent to and or installed on client machines (dependant upon your settings) when users log on in the morning.

The only thing I found to be a pain was Mallicous Software Removal tool as it always requires a reboot.

Welcome to the wonderful world of WSUS
              Last edited by AndyUK; 28th November 2006, 17:38.
              The Univurse is still winning!

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
              ** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks very much Andy!
                Kind Regards,
                Simon

Comment

Hello all,

All my machines have now arrived but I still have a large number of computers needing updates. They know what they need but don't seem to be installing them?

Anything I can check?

Thanks
                  Kind Regards,
                  Simon

Comment

You have set your updates to "install" and not to "detect only"?
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

In Wsusadmin the updates that I want approved are set to install yes?

Thanks
                      Kind Regards,
                      Simon

Comment

Can somebody also tell me the correct options to tick to make sure pcs don't reboot after a update. A user has been prompted to restart but the restart later option is greyed out?

Can anyone help?

Thanks
                        Kind Regards,
                        Simon

Comment

I'm pretty sure Tom was talking about the client configuration (see pic)
                          Originally posted by Si_Pe View Post
                          Can somebody also tell me the correct options to tick to make sure pcs don't reboot after a update. A user has been prompted to restart but the restart later option is greyed out?

Can anyone help?

Thanks
                          Again see pic but if the update is calling for a restart then it would be best to restart the computer. Why not have all the computer do the install in the middle of the night (this is the default setting 3:00 am) and they can restart then and no one is affected.
                          Attached Files
                          Regards,
                          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks very much,

Only thing is all of our machines are shutdown at 10:00pm. Do you know why the restart later option would be greyed out?

Thanks
                            Kind Regards,
                            Simon

Comment

Check out this link http://www.wsus.info/forums/index.php?showtopic=5050

Why not schedule the install for 9 pm? Or you could schedule it for 10 and do the restart at 11... or leave the computers on all night. Many options.
                              Regards,
                              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                              X