Adding client machine to domain gives "The Network Path was no found"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding client machine to domain gives "The Network Path was no found"

I have made a fresh install of 2k3 enterprise ed. After installing i have added drivers etc.. the usual stuff. From there i have created a new domain controller in a new forrest and allowed the wizard to create the DNS server to accompany it.

The domain is minid.local hosted on a server named server2k3 which is the only domain controller and the only internal DNS server, the other DNS server is a DNS proxy that redirects to my ISPs provided DNS servers and is used for external DNS resolutions.

After installing The active directory server and DNS server on the server2003 i created a PTR record on the DNS in the reverse lookup zones that points to 192.168.1.10 - the IP of the server2k3.

On the client machine i have added 192.168.1.10 as the 1st DNS server and the IP of the router (which is a DNS proxy/redirector). I can ping the Server and lookup the server by domain name and Reverse lookup from 192.168.1.10 to server2k3.minid.local. The client is assigned an address by a DHCP server run on a different router. This means the client is on a different subnet to the server and the DNS proxy.

When i attempt to join the domain on the client machine i am promted for a user/pass. After entering this information I am given the error "The Network Path cannot be found"

can anyone help me resolve this issue please?

Re: Adding client machine to domain gives "The Network Path was no found"

Run dcdiag and netdiag on the server.

Are there any firewalls involved? (both hardware and software)
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

sOnly Windows firewall on both machines is implemented. dcdiag and netdiag both cannot be found when run in the run menu on sp2 Enterprise Ed. However i found a sp1 version from a google the output for the dcdiag is attached to this post.

Thanks for your assistance. Also after having another try i cannot access files on the server by using \\192.168.1.10\share$ or \\server2k3.minid.local\share$ the error outputted is "the network path was not found" It may be worth noting that the server and client both run through different routers, the client uses a wireless router as an access point, i havent configured the wireless much other than WAP as it seems to die when i configure it to my needs. These routers have NAT configured.

edit: found a netdiag, output is attached to this post.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Jaimie; 27th November 2006, 20:11. Reason: Outputs for both diag files too big for max post size.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaimie View Post
        Thanks for your assistance. Also after having another try i cannot access files on the server by using \\192.168.1.10\share$ or \\server2k3.minid.local\share$ the error outputted is "the network path was not found"
        Well this is probably the source of the problem. Are you sure you don't have Windows Firewall enabled? Any IPSec policies? Any server hardening?
        It may be worth noting that the server and client both run through different routers, the client uses a wireless router as an access point, i havent configured the wireless much other than WAP as it seems to die when i configure it to my needs.
        A network diagram may be helpful.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

please note the above post editted with the diags etc.

diagram here goes

SERVER2K3(192.168.1.10/24) ------> Cisco 1900 switch --> Dlink 500 series ADSL router(192.168.1.1)NAT configured------> internet

Client PC (192.168.0.0/24) <<<-WIFI->>> Dlink wifi router(192.168.0.1/24) NAT configured>(to cisco 1900 switch)

I hope that makes sense
          Last edited by Jaimie; 27th November 2006, 20:34.

Comment

Re: Adding client machine to domain gives &quot;The Network Path was no found&quot;

Client PC (192.168.0.0/24) <<<-WIFI->>> Dlink wifi router(192.168.0.1/24) NAT configured>(to cisco 1900 switch)
            Here's your problem. When you have NAT configured that means only the client (or whatever host is behind the NATing device) can establish sessions (unless you configured port forwarding). Take away the NAT and have it just route to the other subnet. Or just plug it into the LAN ports and leave the WAN port empty. That way you'll be on the same subnet as the server.

I hope that makes sense
            Yup. Thanks.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Re: Adding client machine to domain gives &quot;The Network Path was no found&quot;

Hey Jaimie, let us know how it goes.
              Regards,
              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

nope same error =/ network path cannot be found, i have also tried to use everything on the same subnet and had no luck. The server and client are both behind the same router on the 192.168.0.0/24 subnet and i still get the same error. This means that NAT should not affect anything.

so NAT out of the way the same error occurs, i have also updated the DNS server to point to the new IP and can NSlookup and reverseDNS lookup from the PTR record
                Last edited by Jaimie; 28th November 2006, 15:05.

Comment

Hmm, well then it's back to this question:
                  Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                  Are you sure you don't have Windows Firewall enabled? Any IPSec policies? Any server hardening?
                  Can you post an updated network diagram?
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

the diagram in my previous post is the updated topology. and the install is a defualt install with no server hardening, only the AD and DNS and file server roles are installed.

Comment

I know you said you were able to ping the server and lookup the DNS record OK but lets test that again since you reconfigured some things on the network. Also want to make sure that the client is getting the proper DNS server (i.e. 192.168.0.2).
                      Regards,
                      Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Name: minid.local
                        Addresses: 192.168.0.2, 169.254.89.123

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>nslookup 192.168.0.2
                        Server: localhost
                        Address: 127.0.0.1

Name: server2k3.minid.local
                        Address: 192.168.0.2

the client has 192.168.0.2 as one of the DNS servers listed

Comment

Is this the client computer's address?? If so then that means it couldn't find a DHCP server. (see APIPA)

Could you run ipconfig /all on both the client and the server and post the output here?
                          Regards,
                          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

ah my client had installed zonealarm which i had failed to notice, the machine is now on the domain thank you for your patience.

Comment

Ah yes, one of those where you slap your forehead!
                              Glad you got it sorted.
                              Regards,
                              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                              X