No announcement yet.

Licensing Questions

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Licensing Questions

This is a very basic question....
    I am upgrading to Win2k3 with Exchange 2k3.
    I have about 24 PC's with Windows XP Pro
    I have about 27 Laptops's with Windows XP Pro

I have 102 users getting Email, via PC, Laptop, IPAQ

What is the best way to figure out what Licensing (CALS)

Do I need 1 for each user getting Email from Exchange?
    Do I need 1 for Each Device logging on ot the Domain?

If I was to order 103 CALS for Exchange and 60 Cals for Devices....would I be able to have 1 license server?

As you can see...this licensing is really fun....

Re: Licensing Questions

No licensing questions are basic!

Does your 102 users include everyone using the desktops and laptops? If so, I think you will only need user CALs. If the 102 users are in addition to the laptop and desktop users, you may need the situation you describe

Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Hi Tom,
      Thanks for the reply. Not all use desktops or laptops. Some get email on thier blackberry or IPAQs....

Microsoft licensing is quite hard. I would advice to contact Microsoft or you're reseller.
        Technical Consultant

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
          Microsoft licensing is quite hard. I would advice to contact Microsoft or you're reseller.

I agree.... I might think one thing, and they tell me another, which could cost thousands of dollars...

From the little I know about licensing it's always a toss up between User and Device CALS. What I DO know is that every User/Device that AUTHENTICATES to the domain needs a CAL.
            Someone in another forum I'm in calls the User CAL the Bag o' Meat CAL. that ism if you think of the CAL as a piece of paper , then slap it on to the Bag o' Meat and stick it there as long as the user/bag o' meat is connecting to the domain. Doesn't matter if that user is connecting via a desktop, laptop, home computer, PDA, blackberry etc., as long as the bag o' meat doesn't get cooked (gets fired, leaves or dies!) that CAL is still stuck to it. If it DOES get cooked, then you can unstick the CAL and transfer it to a new bag o' meat.
            Reading back over that I'm not sure if that makes it easier or more dificult to understand

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.