Installing multiple network printers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing multiple network printers

I have 4 identical (HP 2600N) ethernet printers rigged up to our 2003 server.

The problem is I can never find them using <manage this print server> or <add printer> from the printers and faxes option - they are on the subnet and obtain an address from DHCP.

If I run the HP software, I can type the MAC address and it finds the printer. I can then specify the IP address I want them on and bingo.
    The only problem is everytime you run the software, when finished it wants a restart.

Is there something I am forgetting about here?

Thanks for looking.

Re: Installing multiple network printers

Are you saying the printers are not installed and when you run the utility to install them they are still not installed after the reboot???

BTW - even though the printers have NICs and are connected directly to the network, in Windows they are technically Local printers. Only when you connect to a Shared printer is it considered a Network printer.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Is there a specific reason why you have Dynamic IPs for these printers? You could assign IP addresses in DHCP based on the MAC so the printers maintain the same IP.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Perhaps i didn't explain the problem in full.

Originally, I set the printer (from the physical printer config) to the IP within our exclusion range, mask and gateway.

When i did this, I could not ping the printer. HP support told me to set the printer config to DHCP, allow it to pick up an address from the DC and then use the software to specify the IP i want.

Fair play, doing it this way works, and after printing out a config report from the printer panel the software does turn off DHCP and has the correct TCP/IP config for our exclusion range.

The only problem with doing this, is everytime I installed a printer using there software it wants you to restart the server and because i believe it re-installs the driver (there is no option to select what you want the software to do) it also knocks the other printers off line (same make and model) until the restart.

Comment

Originally posted by simonsays View Post
          Originally, I set the printer (from the physical printer config) to the IP within our exclusion range, mask and gateway.

When i did this, I could not ping the printer. HP support told me to set the printer config to DHCP, allow it to pick up an address from the DC and then use the software to specify the IP i want.
          What was IP address and netmask you gave the printers? What is IP address and netmask of the server? What is your DHCP scope?

Fair play, doing it this way works, and after printing out a config report from the printer panel the software does turn off DHCP and has the correct TCP/IP config for our exclusion range.
          If you get an IP address from the DHCP server and then switch to static using the same address it will probably cause problems. Like biggles77 says, you can have the DHCP server give the printers the same IP address each time.

The only problem with doing this, is everytime I installed a printer using there software it wants you to restart the server and because i believe it re-installs the driver (there is no option to select what you want the software to do) it also knocks the other printers off line (same make and model) until the restart.
          So what happens when it boots up? Are the printers there? Why no just use the add printer wizard? (you'll need to create a TCP/IP port to use)
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
            What was IP address and netmask you gave the printers? What is IP address and netmask of the server? What is your DHCP scope?

Our network is based on the 192.168.62.x range. Our exclusion range is x.x.x.30-49 and from memory, the IP of the server is x.x.x.254 with a standard *C* mask.

If you get an IP address from the DHCP server and then switch to static using the same address it will probably cause problems. Like biggles77 says, you can have the DHCP server give the printers the same IP address each time.

No, the DHCP server hands out an address outside the exclusion range; the software succesfully changes the config to manual with the correct IP and mask.

So what happens when it boots up? Are the printers there? Why no just use the add printer wizard? (you'll need to create a TCP/IP port to use)

When the Server boots, all is well; the new installed printer is online as are all the others. I have tried using the add printer wizard but, for some reason cannot find the printer- I assume because there are already two of the same printers on the network (being shared)?

Thanks for the reply; perhaps I am missing something in the add wizard...

Comment

I've seen this, where a properly networked printer won't show up when you look for networked printers, I just install it as physically connected, and connect to it via a TCP/IP port (versus parallel or USB ports), and create the port if need be.
              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                Is there a specific reason why you have Dynamic IPs for these printers? You could assign IP addresses in DHCP based on the MAC so the printers maintain the same IP.
                biggles77-
                You can map the TCPIP port to the name of the printer instead of the IP, then it makes no difference if the IP address changes.

simonsays-
                I would give up on the HP add printer software, it drove me crazy as too. Instead, first configure all your ports (four of them; to the printer names, not IP's), then add your printers to those ports (as a local printer...) then deploy the printers on your network.

Note: after you add the printers to the print server (locally), make sure that "list this printer in the directory" is checked, right before the end of the wizard.

EDIT: to add port not via a wizard, go to 'printers and faxes', file, server properties, ports tab, add port button, standard TCPIP........
                Last edited by Lior_S; 26th November 2006, 03:29.
                "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Guys,

Thanks for your advice; it all makes sense now.

Comment

Working...
                  X