No announcement yet.

Recover from RAW system files

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recover from RAW system files

I've installed XP instead of the 2000 pro I've had earlier.
    now, as I'm trying to apply the stuff I had on the drivers (ntfs) it won't allow me as the error messege says "access denied".
    I've tried to take ownership over the drive but the option is unavailable coz the system files shown as RAW.
    but using the Partition Magic 8 I can see that the files are the but it won't shown.
    have I lost all my precious data?...

I realized that that's a security problem that the SID
    has to do with it.

how can I recover my files?

I've done a little research on this RAW state, and this is what I found:

RAW File System is the same file system status when you buy a fresh, unpartitioned hard drive. The drive is theoretically, completely empty. There is no solution for this, unless you're willing to spend LOTS of money in recovering your data in a special lab designed just for that. The quick, and unstable solutions can either be:

- Surf to the site of your hard drive manufactur and see if they offer any tools for recovering data. The hard drive manufacturer knows best for his hardware, lets hope they do offer such a tool.

- There is a tool called GetBackData out in the Internet. It's not free, but maybe you can use the demo, I never tested it myself, but I read some reviews about it, but there is no 100%. Here's the link:

Sagemind Solutions - Web Hosting Provider
    Fast, Reliable, Hosting Services

what you can do is

remove the disk from computer A and connect is as slave to computer B (running XP or W2K or 2003). Turn the computer on and logon. Go to Explorer, right click each one of the partitions on your old disk and grant yourself (the administrator) full control permissions.

Let the changes propagate (or you could force it) and then place the disk back in your old computer.

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services

I usually do Daniel's approach, but have often used this trick with Knoppix if moving the physical drive between computers is difficult:
        * Users Helping Users *
        MS-MVP Windows Networking