No announcement yet.

Problem in NTFS Read permissions.Pls help

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem in NTFS Read permissions.Pls help

Friends i want to know that is there any way that in windows 2003 we can assign a user only read permissions so that he can read data files. But when we set this share permission that user can read data but i ahve found that user can copy the files and folders to his own computer.
    It is really dangerous so would my friends u all should like to help me in this matter
    i want only read permissions should implement no the copy etc should be perform on that file or folder.

There's no way to keep a user from a copying a file if they have read permission.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

I think it is bad feature.
      Brother is'nt there is way to do this like read/execute and not to allow copy permissions.
      I think MS had must an option for resolve this problem. So pls let me know if anybody found this.

Well, I am afraid Ahinson is right. If someone has read permission on a file or folder, that means that he/she can copy the content of that file or folder. To avoid that, the only way in my view is to give read permission on the folder where the user is not meant to copy anything...

You can't solve this with NTFS permissions.
          Read access = you have access to the contents of the file.

The only way I can think of is DRM (Digital Rights Management). This is what Steve Balmer has to say about it:

# Documents. Using a simple on-screen dialog prompt built into her word processing application, an advertising copywriter specifies that her document, a draft marketing plan, may be viewed and edited by a selection of the client company's managers for one week. She posts the document to a Web portal to share with them. Based on their feedback, she finalizes the plan and posts it. Managers who downloaded the obsolete draft can no longer open it, which prevents confusion as to which document is current.
          But all this (if at all) is yet to come...
          Guy Teverovsky

"Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"