Unable to set up internet printer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to set up internet printer

Can anyone please direct me as to how to setup an internet printer in Windows 2003 server? I thought I set it up correctly according to the Microsoft website however when I try to connect to it via the internet, I get the “configure internet port” dialog box and no matter which credentials I put in, I get an error which states that the “printer not found on server, unable to connect.”

Re: Unable to set up internet printer

1) You need to have your IIS service aka Application server installed, lets say thru control panel->add/remove programs->windows component . You need to include (checked) internet printing in the option.
    2) You need to get a printer connected to this IIS server.
    3) Open your browser and type http://localhost/printers, you should see the printer you install listed on it.
    4) You may use another computer to connect to it and test. Type http://<iis_ip_addr>/printers. Select the printer. You should see a connect at the left of the 'menu' page. Click on it to get connected.
    5) Test your printing thru it.

I hope this help.
    Last edited by fibox; 23rd November 2006, 03:11.
    Just another MCP

Comment

ok, I was able to do all that. When I choose "connect" from my other computer, I get the “configure internet port” dialog box and no matter which credentials I put in, I get an error which states that the “printer not found on server, unable to connect.”

Comment

Possibly a silly question, but does the printer have to be shared on the server?

Tom
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I don't know but the printer is shared.

Comment

Hi,

1)Did you setup a correct logon credentials on your IIS for your internet printer access?

2)What is the model of the printer?

3)What type of port is the printer using to connect to the server?

4)What is your client pc OS?

"I don't know but the printer is shared." <--- quite confused with your answer. So it is you do not know or it is shared? But likely it is shared else it wont appear on the Internet printer page on IIS.

(Heard before USB printer may have some issue to set as internet printers.) But we should be able to make it work.

Thank you.
            Last edited by fibox; 27th November 2006, 03:48.
            Just another MCP

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
              Possibly a silly question, but does the printer have to be shared on the server?
              Originally posted by rotunnoe View Post
              I don't know[,] but the printer is shared.
              Originally posted by fibox View Post
              quite confused with your answer. So it is you do not know or it is shared? But likely it is shared else it wont appear on the Internet printer page on IIS.
              filbox:
              that should clear up the confusion. I believe rotunnoe missed a comma.

The link (to follow) at one point says you need to share it, but another part doesn't mention sharing the printer, although logic would say that you would need it.

Another possibly stupid question: What exactly is Internet Printing?

HOW TO: Configure Internet Printing in Windows Server 2003

From reading that link, it seems that you can connect to and manage printers from a web browser (by navigating to the server), as well as print via that same interface... I think.

Does this indeed allow someone to do what rotunnoe is asking about, to print to your internal network from an external source? (assuming some asp.net scripting in conjunction with the correct logon credentials would be needed in addition to this Internet Printing option installed)

I've never seen this Internet Sharing web config screen in person; could someone please take a screenshot and post it? (not about to start up a VM right before I go to sleep ) Also, why would someone use this? Seeing the interface would probably answer this in itself, but I gather it'd be easier than remoting into the server each time you need to change certain settings. Running IIS on each [print] server seems a bit excessive IMHO, but I could be wrong.
              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Wired - yes, Internet Printing can allow you to print and somewhat manage your internal printers via a browser from anywhere. All this is after you've performed a successful authentication naturally. I tend not to allow Internet Printing from the outside through the firewalls, but even internally it could be useful, as it allows the user (and the admin) to actually see what printers are being shared, how many documents are pending, and to quickly and easily connect to the required printer.
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Ok Gents… Thanks for your great advice and support. I was finally able to connect a printer through the internet if I type "http://print_server/printers" in my browser’s address bar. (The “Print Server” being the name of my server.) But what if I want to connect to a printer via the internet outside of my domain? I couldn’t use my computer name in the address bar. I would use something like "https://printers.mydomain.com/printers" where externally the “printers.mydomain.com” would resolve to my server name internally. This I can not figure out. Am I making any sense?

Eric

Comment

Eric,

The name part of the URL can be changed to your external IP address, or to a registered domain name in case you want a nice FQDN like "home.domain.com" or something like that.

In order for that to work you need to perform a redirection on your Firewall/NAT, and make it point all port 80 traffic that comes to it (it's the one that actually has the true Internet IP address) to the internal server with the bogus IP address.
                    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Daniel: That I have already done and when I type in my FQDN home.domain.com/printers in the browser address bar I will get the printers page on my server. I can see all the printers. After I select one and choose “connect” it’ll ask me first if I want to add the printer. I’ll choose yes, enter my username and password and then I get “printer not found on server.”

However if I were to type servername/printers in the browser address bar I’m able to add the printer. The issue is that I want to connect to this printer outside my firewall and obviously “servername/printers” will not work.

Thank you in advance for your continued insight.

Comment

Working...
                      X