No announcement yet.

Licensing Issues when replacing a Domain Controller

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Licensing Issues when replacing a Domain Controller

This is my problem. I hope someone can help.

I have a Windows 2000 Domain. I had 1 Server as my Domain Controller running Active Directory, DNS etc. etc. It was a single server environment. We've grown a lot in the past few years and moved our major application to a separate server, all was well. Our original Domain Controller finally started to have hardware problems and we decided to purchase a new dedicated AD server. While we were having issues with our old server we installed AD by running DCPROMO on another server that we had temporarily until we received our new server, we transfered the Master Operation Roles and all was well, we received our New server and installed AD by running DCPROMO it all worked, then we ran DCPROMO again on our old server so that we can decomission it. But it seems we are having licensing issues now, our new server is still pointing to our old server for licenses, it is not allowing me to add or do anything as it gives me an error saying "The License Logging Service is not running on the target machine, or the target machine is not accessible". I have found in an entry in the Registry of this new server under HKey_Local_Machine/system/currentcontrolset/services/licenseservice/parameters.
    There is a string called SiteServer, this is pointing to our old server, however if i change the value of this to point to our new server, it just resets itself to our old server when i close the Registry editor. nothing i do to that entry makes the value stay.
    Our event viewer on this server is giving us an entry every 15 minutes it says "Replication of license information failed because the License Logging Service on server "SERVER.DOMAIN.COM" could not be contacted. "

Has anyone come across this issue before or just knows how to resolve it?
    Microsoft knowledge base doesn't help as it doesn't tell me how to make our new server THE licensing server.

Thank you

Re: Licensing Issues when replacing a Domain Controller

I ran across the same probelm when I replaced a Windows 2000 domain controller with a Small Business Server 2003 network. Rather than dcpromo the win2k server, I kept it as a domain controller.

I started to get the same errors as you so I just disabled the licensing service on the Win2k box because it was no longer needed.

Problem solved.
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Are you changing that registry entry as an Enterprise Admin? I seem to remember that when I changed it on a box a while ago I had to be Ent Admin to do it as I'd set it up as a Licence Server for the whole forest rather than just the domain.

Another thing to do - I know that TS licenses in Windows 2000 are free, but they might help; contact the Microsoft Clearing House for your area - they may be able to assist. I know they did when we wanted to transfer some licenses from one Windows Server 2003 License Server to another...

For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Okay so I figured it out. This is the solution.

Open Active Directory Sites and Services. click on Default-First-Site-Name and in the right pane, double click on Licensing Site Settings and change the Licensing computer to the appropriate domain controlller. Voila.

Re: Thanks for sharing

Thanks for sharing your answer with us! I'm sure others will also benefit from knowing what was wrong and how you fixed it.

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT