Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VPN clients have to use FQDN to access

Hey guys,
    I know this issue has been talked about, but I have a new twist!

If I log on locally I get an ip address from the DHCP server. Fine. I get correct ip address, netmask and router. I also get a Primary DNS suffix and a DNS suffix search list, both with the correct local.domain

But when I access through VPN I do not. RRAS is configured to get the addresses from the same DHCP server, but somehow the DNS suffixes are omitted.

Anyone seen something like this before? It's a pain in the ass since my guys have all their shared network resources configured only to the hostname of the server and not the FQDN.

Last edited by Anders; 22nd November 2006, 13:13. Reason: A more describing title
    A wise man once said: "Assumption is the mother of all fu*k ups".

Any advice I give is to the best of my knowledge, there is no guarantee what so ever that it will actually work in your particular scenario. I will not accept any responsibility for unexpected consequences, after all - you are taking advice from a complete stranger over the internet. =)

Re: VPN clients have to use FQDN to access

Problem solved.

The solution to my problem was that I did not have a DHCP relay agent in my RRAS. You can in the properties of RRAS go to the IP tab and set it to use DHCP for IP address assignment. It will then assign IP addresses to your connecting clients. Nothing more. They will only get an IP address.

If you want to serve the complete setup from DHCP you'll have to add a DHCP relay agent. To do that:
    1. Go to IP routing, right click on General and Add new routing protocol. Pick DHCP relay agent from the list.
    2. Add the IP address of the DHCP server in the configuration of the agent.
    3. Right click the agent, select New interface and add the appropriate network interface.

After this the connecting VPN clients will be served with all the goodies that your DHCP server is configured to hand out.
    A wise man once said: "Assumption is the mother of all fu*k ups".

Any advice I give is to the best of my knowledge, there is no guarantee what so ever that it will actually work in your particular scenario. I will not accept any responsibility for unexpected consequences, after all - you are taking advice from a complete stranger over the internet. =)

Comment

Working...
    X