administrator account disabled

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• administrator account disabled

Hello, I need help in gaining access to my 2003 server. By accident I deleted the administrator account. I tried to logon using "Directory Service Restore Mode" in steps listed on: http://www.petri.com/reset_domain_ad...in_windows_ser
    ver_2003_ad.htm. When it comes to this step: " When the login screen appears, log on as Local Administrator. You now have full access to the computer resources, but you cannot make any changes to Active Directory." I tried that and then will get "Administrator Account disabled. Contact your system administrator" Is there another way to restore the administrator account and/or logon as "Local Administrator" to continue with the next procedure listed in link above. I will regret having to reinstall 2003 and lose all the files I am triying to protect from erasing them.Thanks in advance and will have to mention that I have limited skills in this topic.
    Lsocio

Re: administrator account disabled

If it's in the deleted objects container, you can use the admod tool to undelete. Sysinternals ad Adrestore too for undeleting AD objects.
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Thanks for your promted reply. I decided to play with google for a while to see what I came across, and found a exellent post that quickly resolved my dilema. Here is:
      "shai tsanani
      11th May 2005, 14:37
      By default, Remote Installation Services (RIS) automatically disables the local Administrator account on Windows Server 2003 servers. For that matter, you can also disable this account manually if you want to increase the security of your servers. But what if you're called in to manage a server for which the Administrator account is disabled and there are no other user accounts with administrative access? In this scenario, you can enable the disabled Administrator account by booting the server into Safe mode.
      To do so, begin by restarting the server. When the Power-On Self Test (POST) routine completes, press [F8] to display the Windows Advanced Options menu. From this menu, select the Safe Mode option. Then, select the operating system you want to start. Next, log on to Windows Server 2003 as Administrator. When the boot process completes, open the Computer Management console. (On the Start menu, right-click on My Computer and choose Manage.) In the console tree, expand Local Users And Groups. Select Users, and in the details pane, right-click on Administrator and choose Properties. Deselect the Account Is Disabled check box and click OK to save your changes. You can now restart the server and log on with the Administrator user account.

Good Luck

shai.

To accomplish this, I was lucky to remember the Password for my Administrator Account. I have to add that, once you logon as Administator in safe mode; it will make you change the actual password for a new one. I hope it will help others with this same or similar scenario. Thanks.
      Lsocio

Comment

You said you DELETED the administrator account, you didn't say you DISABLED it. It is difficult to offer proper help without accurate information in the first place.
        Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

You are right. I meant to say "DISABLED" instead. Thanks for the help.
          Lsocio

Comment

Working...
          X