Shutdown problem when RDC is enabled

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shutdown problem when RDC is enabled

Hi all, this is my first post, I did a search and I couldn't find the info I need.

on the servers in our lab we have RDC enabled, so everytime we need to shutdown the server, we get a message, "there might be other users connected, are you sure you want to restart" something in that sense, and well nothing happens until you say yes to that message. this is a problem, that we need to take care off, because we usually schedule tasks that require restart and well nothing will happen until you click yes.

so please help, on how to fix this and make that screen not show up. thanks

Re: Shutdown problem when RDC is enabled

This shouldn't be a problem if you have a scheduled task. I (think) you will only get this problem when RDP'ing into the server.

Give it a try!!

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

So I'm logged on to a W2K3 server at the console while I have a Remote Desktop Connection logged in from my WXP workstation. In a CMD box at the console, I enter "shutdown /r /t 15" and it proceeds happily w/ a popup on my workstation that "... Any unsaved changes will be lost..."

I do the same but from a DOS box in the Remote session with the exact same result.

I can't shutdown my servers at this moment so a "shutdown /a" is executed in time.

Are you using shutdown.exe? Is it a scheduled task issue vs. a command box one? Are you running W2K3 or W2K server? Have you tried adding the /f switch to force without warning?
      Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

I'm hoping this problem can be solved by some registry key or permission. because, what I'm trying to do is: we have to launch scheduled Ghost images (Symmantic Ghost) from a ghost server, and it sits there waiting for the ok on the shutdown. the servers are mainly W2k3

Comment

Do the Remote Desktop users properly log themselfs Off, or do they just disconnect [X] their sessions? In that last case you could also change the options to 'end session' after dissconnection.

And try this command, it wil close all sessions without interaction needed;

tsshutdn 0 /powerdown /delay:0

It wil 'powerdown' or 'reboot' the computer from remote or from console. All currently connected users will be informed (when using the wait/delay values).

\Rem

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
          and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Originally posted by Rems View Post
            Do the Remote Desktop users properly log themselfs Off, or do they just disconnect [X] their sessions? In that last case you could also change the options to 'end session' after dissconnection.

And try this command, it wil close all sessions without interaction needed;

tsshutdn 0 /powerdown /delay:0

It wil 'powerdown' or 'reboot' the computer from remote or from console. All currently connected users will be informed (when using the wait/delay values).

\Rem
            i can't use this statement because that requires change to a 1000s of images commands, its easier to fix a key or a value or something, and users just disconenct by clicking on the X. there must be a way

Comment

Have you tried using -f (force) switch ?
              Guy Teverovsky
              "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Working...
              X